General Stilo no more...

Currently reading:
General Stilo no more...

Citizen Smith

is one with the dark side
As mentioned in another thread, I have p/x'd my Stilo Abarth for another car.

It is not a Fiat or anything else italian that I've bought this time, but will leave you guessing for the meantime untill I pick up my new purchase and post some pics.

My Abarth has been the best car I've personally owned, and part of me will be sad to see her go - but times are changing and i cannot ignore the need for change at this particular time.

I obviously will still frequent the forum and will post some pics of my new ride asap. (y)

Attachments

• GTi.jpg
    GTi.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Yes I have indeed turned to the dark side and bought a VW Golf GTi :devil:. It is very similar to the pic below but obviously RHD with different wheels.

As much as I dislike Golfs (and Minis...just a personal thing :D), you really can't get a better hot hatch for your money... and the mk5 looks good as well, especially in black with the big optional alloys (y)

All the best matey with the new motor. Hopefully it gives you as much driving pleasure as the Abarth gave you... I'm sure it will! :devil:

As much as I dislike Golfs (and Minis...just a personal thing :D), you really can't get a better hot hatch for your money... and the mk5 looks good as well, especially in black with the big optional alloys (y)

All the best matey with the new motor. Hopefully it gives you as much driving pleasure as the Abarth gave you... I'm sure it will! :devil:

Cheers (y), its a 5 door as well so its practical as well as functional and the spec is impressive as well - I work for VW so I got a good deal with employee discount etc so I'm well pleased with my purchase. :D:D:D

Cheers (y), its a 5 door as well so its practical as well as functional and the spec is impressive as well - I work for VW so I got a good deal with employee discount etc so I'm well pleased with my purchase. :D:D:D

Yay! Another 5 door owner! :D

With the employee discount, I don't blame you for getting the Golf... you lucky so and so... :p

I'll be interested to see how you feel it compares to the Stilo Abarth. Obviously it'll be better, but it'll be interesting to see HOW MUCH better it is...

There a bit hard to compare fairly TBH. The golf has fully independant suspension, whereas the Abarth has a fixed rear beam which really lets it down and lets it lean too much. Pricing of the 2 cars IMO reflects this.

The Golf has a flawless laser welded chassis which gives it a more solid feel, I have had my Stilo and a GTi through the same s bend locally and the Stilo loses grip at the front too soon with the predictable understeer,whereas the GTi grips and grips giving more confidence as a result.

An oil change takes literally 1/2 an hour on a GTi, whereas the Stilo takes an hour or so, leaves a hell of a mess and gives 3rd degree burns:cry:. VW diagnosis and dealer support are some of the best in the UK, with the dealer I work for being in the top 10 for the whole of the UK - we were 3rd last year out of all the UK.

I will miss the passion and flair for sure, plus the 5 pot sound but I think my tastes have changed and circumstances mean I need more reliabilty and I hated the fact my Abarth lost so much value being only 4 years old - VW are renowned for there residual values which was also a selling point, I estimate to only lose a max £1000 a year off of its value for every year it ages compared with older versions of the car.

p.s I will be putting some bits up for sale once swapped into my new car, sunblinds, spare 17" alloy with b/new tyre, so watch out in classifieds.

Last edited:
I estimate to only lose a max £1000 a year off of its value for every year it ages compared with older versions of the car.

credit crunch will **** on your chips there!

i too am needing to change really but i dont like anything im looking at as im sort of being forced to change before it stops and costs me a ****load of cash, plus getting loads of little niggles now.

really wouldnt mind another stilo, the new bravos look nice but they only 5 door :(

..the new bravos look nice but they only 5 door :(
You worried about someone jumping in the back whilst you're stationary or something :confused: I'm sure it's possible to disable the rear doors without resorting to welding them shut - but can't understand why you'd ever want to - as resell value will be higher with 5 doors anyway.

Having 5 doors and only using 3 is real easy :)

Having 3 doors and trying to use 5 is darn difficult :p

Back