General Stilo Indicators Self Cancel

Currently reading:
General Stilo Indicators Self Cancel

thismonkey

Hi, I don't know if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find any info about it anywhere.

My partner has an 04 Stilo 1.4 and its cool. Apart from its indicators.

They appear to self cancel all the time. Its so bad that when sitting stationary with the wheel facing forwards the left indicator will not 'click' on and will self cancel all the time.

The right indicator will be cancelled when you move the wheel left slightly, an act you do when driving around any roundabout. Making turning right at roundabouts dangerous as she has to physically hold the indicator in the right position or cars just pull out on her.

I've tried a number of different things with it, including holding it for a few seconds before releasing (like some of the new Vauxhalls) but nothing seems to work.

Sometimes the indicators will actually work and not self cancel... then they won't cancel when the corner is done and she has to cancel them herself.

I've used cars with bad indicators, but these are awful. I've heard others have complained about indicators on Stilo's, but I can't believe that they are all as bad as this.

We have only had the car a few months and it has done this since buying, is this something I can fix myself?

Thanks for any help... it's doing my head it and it's a shame as otherwise its a lovely little car.

I think it clicks, which is why I was confused. I will try it again tonight and see. I will also try the plastic thing thanks.

I was holding down the left indicator for a few seconds, whilst the car was stationary and it would still self cancel.

Thanks though, I appreciate any help.

I had the same problem on our old 5 door stilo. Turned out the the rubber didn't fit very well into the plastic surround behind the steering wheel and was constantly pushing on the indicator stalk, slightest knock would turn them off. So I removed the plastic surround and used a small file to remove about 3mm of plastic all around the hole the indicator stalk fits through, was perfect afterwards. Remove the rubber from the surround first just to check it is whats causing the problem.

Last edited:
Same on mine. The rubber had become creased somehow so when it was compressed it pushed back too easily. I cut the outer ridge of rubber off and slid the next band under the plastic.

Thank you for the advice. I tried this over the weekend and the indicators are much improved.

They still self cancel a little more than I would like, but I think that is just how a normal Fiat does it (judging on my brothers punto)

The difference made was amazing. I may just leave the rubber our of the hole as it isn't noticeable at all.

Thank you.

Back