General Stilo Abarth

Currently reading:
General Stilo Abarth

ah but you cant beat the tactility of a manual...

ive driven both and think the downshifts on the selespeed are awesome, but then again a good downshift with a nice blip on a manual is very satisfying!

suppose it depends on whether u want pure driving pleasure (go for the manual) or equipment levels, ease of use in traffic (go for the selespeed)

id drive both and make your mind up

Very nice car, just check the reliability of the selespeed box, Alfa have used them on several of their cars and there are manufacturing faults on vehicles with similar setup. They are also extremely expensive to repair.

Si

I think the Fiat ones are better than the Alfa boxes :chin:

But I still love it, and the concept - even though my actuator broke :eek:, it hasn't put me off buying one again...

Selespeed boxes don't have the best name the actuator is the main known defect on them but they do have their fair share of problems. If you are lucky you won't have any problems with it, however if you're unlucky it will try your patience.
I have only really had dealings with the Alfa box though, so don't let that cloud your judgement- just do some research into it before you make the jump.

The basic fault is to do with the actuator seal failing, it's just a hydraulic solenoid, once this starts failing your vehicle can start to find phantom gears, for example 1st, 2nd, false neutral, 3rd, 4th, false neutral, 5th. thats the most common fault.

Si

Just put it down to the joys of motoring and of course being a proud owner of a Fiat (Find Immediate Alternative Transportaton).

They are great fun though, and look the mutts nuts
(y)

Last edited:
Don't let it put you off mate, just suggest you do some research first, thats all. No vehicle is faultless- just whatever you do stay away from the City Rovers!!

Si

cheers all, some great advice. Peeves me as im swapping my hgt (maybe) just when the engine is finding its own and getting nice and quick. Not going to be easy talking the misses into getting a 2.4lte. Wish me luck eh lol (y)

Good luck mate, just have your arguement well planned in your head before you aproach the subject- I'm sure all will go according to plan.... enjoy whatever you decide to do!
Si
(y)

Just have a read up on them and see what you think, the best thing to do is just type something like selespeed fault into google see what comes up- have a quick read and see what you think.

they are great fun to drive though, and that what counts!

Si

Cars going in on monday for fiats top dogs to have a nosey. I love ma hgt but just cant take any more. Not sure whats next but ive sent a letter to fiat cust relations rejecting the car. Just want something with poke..thats if they let me swap. trouble is ill be looking at 2nd hand as im gonna have to buy a van soon so wont be ble to put owt toward any replacement. The hard part is talking the misses into the 2.4 litres lol :D

Back