General STilo 1.6 Changing to first gear making crunching noise

Currently reading:
General STilo 1.6 Changing to first gear making crunching noise

rajbrinder

Hi All
I have recently bought a Stilo 1.6 Dynamic 2002 Reg. It has got some issues mostly electrical (like fake alarms bcos of poor battery which I am going to sort out next week) But the main problem which worries me is, Crunching noise when I try to lower gear to first (for eg. while approcahing roundabout ). If I start from stationary all the gear changes are fine , including first. Reverse is also fine. Problem only appears when changing to first gear from 3rd or 4th gear.
ANy advise or ideas please.
Thanks

Hi All
I have recently bought a Stilo 1.6 Dynamic 2002 Reg. It has got some issues mostly electrical (like fake alarms bcos of poor battery which I am going to sort out next week) But the main problem which worries me is, Crunching noise when I try to lower gear to first (for eg. while approcahing roundabout ). If I start from stationary all the gear changes are fine , including first. Reverse is also fine. Problem only appears when changing to first gear from 3rd or 4th gear.
ANy advise or ideas please.
Thanks

I have never tried to go from 3rd or 4th to 1st... that will really stress out the synchro-hubs! Just pull to a stop if you have to stop, in 2nd, select 1st and off you go. 1st gear is to start the car rolling thats all really.

Woah, I'd stop going down to first while moving....
I dont have intimate knowledge of Stilos, but I suspect that the crunching noise is because first gear has no syncro. Second should cover just about every speed while moving, even slowly. If you need to go to 1st, I would suggest stopping first.

Hope that helps

Damn you ffoxy :p

Last edited:
Woah, I'd stop going down to first while moving....
I dont have intimate knowledge of Stilos, but I suspect that the crunching noise is because first gear has no syncro. Second should cover just about every speed while moving, even slowly. If you need to go to 1st, I would suggest stopping first.

Hope that helps

Damn you ffoxy :p

1st has got syncro but guessing it hasnt any longer..:p

It is syncronized, but it's pretty useless to put it in 1st unless you have 10 km/h or less. It is easy to put it down to 2nd in 70 km/h but avoid stressing the 1st gear with speeds above 10 km/h. 1st gear can ofcourse be pressed above 50 km/h, but thats up the rev counter.

Can't see the point of using 1st gear unless you want to burn out the roundabout? :cool:

Use 2nd in and out of roundabouts...

I vote poor driving technique, poor little Stilo... :p

I'll often drop from 2nd to 1st whilst just on the move in traffic crawls (the skill being in NOT stopping the car) but it must be done with care.

Wouldn't dream of moving from any other gear to 1st unless stationary :(

Ok took your advise that its poor driving, but my only question is even with the clutch fully engaged cant I change it to 1st gear (car is just roling over). I am not actually changing it to provide torque or for braking purpose or increase the REVs ... trying to change the gear to 1st with clutch fully pressed and another foot off the accelerator.
Thanks

Yeah, I concur with it being inadvisable to go from any gear but 2nd into 1st. As with Argo, that's what I tend to do when stuck in a motorway crawl. Going from anything higher to first probably isn't the best idea. Would have to be an incredibly tiny roundabout to require 1st gear :confused:

Made the mistake once when I first got the car of going from 6th to 3rd, which was fun. Thankfully I wasn't going at any massive speed, but still gave me a shock with the noticeably higher revs. Took a while to get used to a 6-speed :eek:

Also, the speeds I am talking about is not 30-40 miles per hour it is actually quite less than in region of 15-20 miles per hour.

I vote poor driving technique, poor little Stilo... :p

:yeahthat:

Also, the speeds I am talking about is not 30-40 miles per hour it is actually quite less than in region of 15-20 miles per hour.

Still to high.

I only do it at 10mph or less when in very slow moving traffic ;) (y)

Ok took your advise that its poor driving, but my only question is even with the clutch fully engaged cant I change it to 1st gear (car is just roling over). I am not actually changing it to provide torque or for braking purpose or increase the REVs ... trying to change the gear to 1st with clutch fully pressed and another foot off the accelerator.
Thanks

I dont get it rajbrinder, what is the fascination with 1st gear?
Forget about 1st gear unless you are standing still, stopped.... not moving.
2nd gear is fine normally for all other circumstances at low speed (but then I do drive a diesel) :eek:

Back