Technical Steering wheel removal

Currently reading:
Technical Steering wheel removal

I assume at that age it doesn't have a airbag in the steering wheel, but please check 100%. If it does the battery will need disconnecting some time before working on steering wheel area, 30 minutes should be enough but I advise checking elsewhere for sure.
Once you have decided it is safe to work on the centre cover on the steering wheel has to be removed, on some it is a case of pulling it off and others have screws from the back holding it on, once that is off there is a large nut in the centre of the steering wheel holding it on, I usually use a large socket and 3/4 inch bar to slacken it, do not take the nut right off, first centralise the steering then mark the position of the wheel is in relation to the spline so you can refit to the same position, next back off the nut but still leave it on a few threads, now usually a strong rocking/pulling motion towards you will release the splined taper, that usually does the trick, if not I have seen people banging the back of the steering wheel with a rubber mallet, but it is easy to cause damage doing this, there used to be a puller available to do this job but generally I haven't needed it.
The reason the nut is left on a few threads is to avoid a broken nose when the wheel comes off;).
Once wheel off ensure that you can return it to the same position after doing the job, not just for steering in a straight line but also so the indicator cancelling function lines up too.
If the horn is operated by the centre of the steering wheel be careful not to damage that function also, plus if it does have an airbag there is what is known as a "squib" which transmits power to the airbag function so extra care is required there.

I assume at that age it doesn't have a airbag in the steering wheel, but please check 100%. If it does the battery will need disconnecting some time before working on steering wheel area, 30 minutes should be enough but I advise checking elsewhere for sure.
Once you have decided it is safe to work on the centre cover on the steering wheel has to be removed, on some it is a case of pulling it off and others have screws from the back holding it on, once that is off there is a large nut in the centre of the steering wheel holding it on, I usually use a large socket and 3/4 inch bar to slacken it, do not take the nut right off, first centralise the steering then mark the position of the wheel is in relation to the spline so you can refit to the same position, next back off the nut but still leave it on a few threads, now usually a strong rocking/pulling motion towards you will release the splined taper, that usually does the trick, if not I have seen people banging the back of the steering wheel with a rubber mallet, but it is easy to cause damage doing this, there used to be a puller available to do this job but generally I haven't needed it.
The reason the nut is left on a few threads is to avoid a broken nose when the wheel comes off;).
Once wheel off ensure that you can return it to the same position after doing the job, not just for steering in a straight line but also so the indicator cancelling function lines up too.
If the horn is operated by the centre of the steering wheel be careful not to damage that function also, plus if it does have an airbag there is what is known as a "squib" which transmits power to the airbag function so extra care is required there.
Many thanks bugsymike. There is no airbag for sure. I have pulled off the outer cover, which then reveals another plastic plate which seems to be held on by lugs. There are four holes which I suspect might be the means of detaching the lugs but don’t want to poke about too much. I’ll nip back and take a photo. 👍

Many thanks bugsymike. There is no airbag for sure. I have pulled off the outer cover, which then reveals another plastic plate which seems to be held on by lugs. There are four holes which I suspect might be the means of detaching the lugs but don’t want to poke about too much. I’ll nip back and take a photo. 👍
I am guessing that is for a horn switch , probably spring loaded, you will probably have to gentle ease those plastic lugs to release that plate careful not to break them as it may affect horn function. You may need to release them with a thin screwdriver from the back.

I am guessing that is for a horn switch , probably spring loaded, you will probably have to gentle ease those plastic lugs to release that plate careful not to break them as it may affect horn function. You may need to release them with a thin screwdriver from the back.
Yes, I think you’re right. There is the photo

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
Back