General Steering wheel controls

Currently reading:
General Steering wheel controls

MunchBunch

Hey, I own a 62plate panda pop without steering wheel controls but just wondering if it was a simple case of buying a new wheel and head unit and the leads would match up or something?

Anyone have any experience of installing steering wheel controls into their panda?

Hey, I own a 62plate panda pop without steering wheel controls but just wondering if it was a simple case of buying a new wheel and head unit and the leads would match up or something?

Anyone have any experience of installing steering wheel controls into their panda?
Do you mean a 'like for like' replacement?
This would work, the wiring loom and any hidden controller won't think anything different has happened.

If you mean replacing the Head Unit with a non OEM, ditto steering wheel, then, kind of, yes, it could work. The steering wheel is just switches, momentary push, so, anything with momentary push, so long as it's wired right, will work.

Non OEM head unit, check out my post with a Witson radio. The connective compatibility is enabled by a canbus module. It all works seamlessly.

Do you mean a 'like for like' replacement?
This would work, the wiring loom and any hidden controller won't think anything different has happened.

If you mean replacing the Head Unit with a non OEM, ditto steering wheel, then, kind of, yes, it could work. The steering wheel is just switches, momentary push, so, anything with momentary push, so long as it's wired right, will work.

Non OEM head unit, check out my post with a Witson radio. The connective compatibility is enabled by a canbus module. It all works seamlessly.
Yeah so I want to keep it original fiat bits but don't know if an upgraded steering wheel with controls needs a different loom or if it goes straight into the head unit?
So I believe your first answer is perfect for me

am I right in assuming that by hidden controller you mean an unused part of the loom for an uninstalled accessory so this could work for front flood lights too?
Thanks

Yeah so I want to keep it original fiat bits but don't know if an upgraded steering wheel with controls needs a different loom or if it goes straight into the head unit?
So I believe your first answer is perfect for me

am I right in assuming that by hidden controller you mean an unused part of the loom for an uninstalled accessory so this could work for front flood lights too?
Thanks
It is possible a different model fiat wheel may have the same connections, but, there's so many variables, looking at the wheel and having a play is the best solution.

The controller - ive seen mention of a device under the drivers seat for 'blue and me'. As your pop doesn't have wheel controls, I'm not so sure if the loom is sitting there.

My feelings are, a non OEM radio, such as a witson is the way forwards, and make your own loom from the wheel.

Not a task I could do, it in would cook my head, but its possible.

Post photos. Would be an amazing project!

It is possible a different model fiat wheel may have the same connections, but, there's so many variables, looking at the wheel and having a play is the best solution.

The controller - ive seen mention of a device under the drivers seat for 'blue and me'. As your pop doesn't have wheel controls, I'm not so sure if the loom is sitting there.

My feelings are, a non OEM radio, such as a witson is the way forwards, and make your own loom from the wheel.

Not a task I could do, it in would cook my head, but its possible.

Post photos. Would be an amazing project!
I can't comment about looms existing or otherwise in a pop versus higher trim levels (specifically steering wheel controls) but I wouldn't be surprised if the requisite cables were there. I can add, a little, regarding the Blue & Me (B&M) module that @UKRMedic refers to.

Mine is a '63 TA 4x4. The original B&M unit (under driver's seat in RHD) failed and at the time replacement from Fiat would be £450. Since B&M units have a tendency to fail on, they drain the battery within 3 or 4 days if the car is not used so it must be physically removed or at least unplugged. As part of my search for the B&M unit and replacing the USB to enable a phone connection I discovered a second module tucked away behind the dash near the glove box this carried a label "radio" and was wired to the radio.

I'm not sure of the function but suspect that it interfaces the radio head unit with the body computer and probably manages the power down delay etc and possibly any radio security, although I don't recall @UKRMedic having any issues with his Witson conversion?

By the way I have removed the steering wheel to replace the clock spring assembly (air bag light error) and can tell you that the air bag retention clips (accessed through holes either side of the plastic trim on the wheel at roughly 4 and 8 o'clock) require some level of patience and dexterity to release...

@Panda IIs , first unit I had was faulty, returned it to China, at my cost, they replaced it with a higher model at their cost, it's worked perfectly. Steering controls etc all work out.

I've not even looked at the b&m module under the seat. I'm guessing, if it's unplugged, the link between the steering wheel and head unit would be broken.

A little bit of clever wiring would get around this. Ditto install of a steering wheel with controls where none existed before. As you say, the loom may already be there. Ive had cars where this is very much the case.

Back