Technical Steering Bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Steering Bearing

scud

Read in a good post by Free Spirit about steering no recentering after turning a corner etc, I have this prob , Waht sort of job is it too replace them , and where is the best place to buy the brgs. Any advice greatfully recieved.

Allan :)

Mine has been a pain after turning for months, so I've finally decided to replace the top bearings.
I've a 1997 1.9td, non-power steering. Dealer parts only on mine.
I need the top bearings for the offside strut, while it's off I need a new insert as it's leaking oil, and the steering rack needs a new arm on the offside as well, as it's worn, probably by the bearing. Total cost for parts is £220 +vat. I can't be bothered pulling it all apart, as I've been quoted 4 hours labour cost, and while I do all my own work normally, these are so big and heavy, it would take me a couple of days.

Last edited:
Read in a good post by Free Spirit about steering no recentering after turning a corner etc, I have this prob , Waht sort of job is it too replace them , and where is the best place to buy the brgs. Any advice greatfully recieved.

Allan :)

Bearings are 10 quid from fiat, 18 quid on ebay :rolleyes:

I tried to find a better bearing as the originals are rubbish but couldn't find a better one with thte same inner diameter.

Having changed them a few times I recommend you take out the whole strut mount, spring, strut assembly together. I've done it several different ways but this is least time consuming as there is very little room for spring compressors when on the van very fiddly.

You need to get some decent spring compressors and a 22 deep socket to remove the strut nut other than that its straight forward. The 4 nuts holding the strut to the hub are 24mm you'll need a big extension bar to remove and replace. Think the three bolts holding the strut mount are 16mm. You need to remove about 12 screws and remove the dash corners and glovebox to access the strut mount bolts.

Only caveats are support the hub as if it falls out the inner driveshaft willpull out of the gearbox and you will lose oil. The strut spring assembly is heavy at the awkward angle you'll be holding it make sure to remove the brake pipe and abs sensor wire etc. from their holders the chassis and get them out of the way its easy to drop the strut on these. Might be worth removeing the caliper and getting it out of the way entirely.

Last edited:
Mine has been a pain after turning for months, so I've finally decided to replace the top bearings.
I've a 1997 1.9td, non-power steering. Dealer parts only on mine.
I need the top bearings for the offside strut, while it's off I need a new insert as it's leaking oil, and the steering rack needs a new arm on the offside as well, as it's worn, probably by the bearing. Total cost for parts is £220 +vat. I can't be bothered pulling it all apart, as I've been quoted 4 hours labour cost, and while I do all my own work normally, these are so big and heavy, it would take me a couple of days.

220 + vat is about right for parts but four hours labour is nonsense I'd do it solo on your drive in less time let alone in a garage with a lift and someone to help.

220 + vat is about right for parts but four hours labour is nonsense I'd do it solo on your drive in less time let alone in a garage with a lift and someone to help.

New shock absorber insert, rack end, then the tracking as well? Seems good to me.

To be fair, it needs a new back brake line, and that's in the labour as well, so replacing that and bleeding the back as well.

New shock absorber insert, rack end, then the tracking as well? Seems good to me.

To be fair, it needs a new back brake line, and that's in the labour as well, so replacing that and bleeding the back as well.

An update, I was actually charged for 3 hours overall, so even better.
The van drives round corners, and even straightens up by itself now.

The van drives round corners, and even straightens up by itself now.

:) woo that better than most :p

I had forgotten to factor in the tracking as you said so with brake line included 3 hours is indeed fair enough. Glad you're sorted.

It's quite different to drive now, as it seized slowly I didn't really notice how heavy the steering had become, but the sudden change is like having power steering.

I do most of my own work normally, but to be honest I just didn't fancy this as it's just too big and heavy, I must be getting old.
The garage I use is always fair, and does a good job.
It's the sort of place where you can stand under the van with the mechanic, and have a chat while he works. None of the waiting room with the window. (or without, even worse)

to be honest I just didn't fancy this as it's just too big and heavy, I must be getting old.

Yeah you really need two people the strut assembly is very heavy I ended up doing it solo three times and it involved using a lever with my left foot to jack the strut while having my right hand under the dash to get the bolts into the strut mount. If I had the money I'd pay someone to do it too!

It's the sort of place where you can stand under the van with the mechanic, and have a chat while he works.

The sort of place that doesn't use a vicegrips, chisel, monkeywrench and B.F.H for everything. Hard to find (y)

For scuds benefit the part number of the bearing is:1355179080
Current price is £10.33 or €15.48 incl. vat

The bearing is seperate from the strut mount some autofactors will quote you for the mount because the most strut bearings are integrated in the mount.

The bearings are also available throught your motor factor from the original birth catalogue.. www.birth.it

Their part number is: 6348

Last edited:
Back