Technical Starting problem - pre-DPF 1.3 MJ

Currently reading:
Technical Starting problem - pre-DPF 1.3 MJ

CaptainTuba

West Wilts Panda Reserve
Today the Qubo just won't even attempt to start :confused:

2010 pre-DPF 1.3 MJ, manual gearbox, it is a basic model with no options, no aircon.

Symptoms:
Lights on - but there's no starter at home.
Apparently when wifey tried to start it:
  • Everything powered as normal, radio and windows worked.
  • On starting, the engined turned over for a second or so, and then nothing.
  • Now the fault is consistent and the engine will not turn over at all:

• turn the key to the first position and everything is normal
  • turn the key to the start position and a relay clicks in the engine bay, but nothing else seems to happen.

Background:
Everything was fine yesterday and we've have not seen any recent intermittent issues.
It has a full tank and yesterday was driven for about 2.5 hours on it.

Diagnostic actions so far:
The symptoms are the same with both key types; remote and simple key.
You can hear the low pressure fuel pump start up.
There are no OBD errors.
The battery voltage had dropped to less than 12v, probably because of many attempts to start it. So I charged it back up.
Cleaned the battery terminals.
Checked fuses visually.
There was a spark when removing the battery terminals.
Used a multimeter to look at parasitic drain:
  • F01 60A Computer draws 400mA
  • F18 7.5A ECU relay draws 0.5mA
  • Have not traced the last 0.1mA

What could the problem be?
  • Failed starter motor
  • Failed electric supply to or from starter
  • Imobiliser problem
  • What else?

Next actions
  • Take out the battery tray and trace and clean earth leads.
  • Figure out how to diagnose a starter motor issue.

Anyone got any suggestions what to look at next?

Similar threads:
Fiat Fiorino wont start: https://www.fiatforum.com/fiorino-iii/445267-fiat-fiorino-wont-start.html?p=4221883
HELP PLEASE with fiorino 1.3 multijet: https://www.fiatforum.com/fiorino-i...fiorino-1-3-multijet.html?427571=#post4096124
Re: Need help.. Many electronic issues :(: https://www.fiatforum.com/fiorino-i...ny-electronic-issues.html?353863=#post3515693

Thanks
C.T.

Last edited:
Update
Just tried starting the car this morning whilst it is still cool.
It will not start.
:-(

Yay! Progress. :D

One more test I did was to listen to the starter relay in the fuse box to check it worked. I put a screwdriver tip on the relay and got a friend to attempt to start it. You could hear the relay click in response to turning the ignition key. To double check we swapped the relay with a similar one in the fuse box.
However, this did not fix the issue.

Then having another look from the beginning we got it sorted. (y)
It turned out to be the connections on the starter motor.

I wanted to locate the starter motor, so I felt along the positive power cable that goes from the battery down behind the engine.
Once I found the connection on the back of the starter motor - I gave the wire a jiggle and it appeared a bit loose.

We tried to start it again, and it fired up first time. :D

Today I put it on the ramps and took off the 3 wires that connect onto the starter motor: supply from battery; alternator; and another smaller cable that I suppose goes to the relay.

There is a plastic cover that provides some protection from the elements.
It was fiddly to to undo. There are latches on three sides and a tab that hooks under the plastic body where the cables enter.

The lock nut is 14mm and in my case was fairly loose :(
The cable to the alternator came off first, then the much bigger supply cable from the battery. Finally the plastic cover complete with small cable from the relay came off. I was surprised not to find a spring washer.

I released small cable from the plastic cover and a part of a very thin spring washer fell out. This might have been the failure that caused the signal cable from the relay to lose connection. It had some corrosion on it.

I cleaned up all the cable connectors with a fine wire brush, then degreaser and a green kitchen scourer, finally with electrical contact cleaner.

In Haynes manual style, reassembly is the reverse of taking it apart. However, I added a spring washer and did it up a bit tighter.

I couldn't find my tube of copper slip grease, so it has gone back ungreased. Later I'll get some more grease and protected the connectors from corrosion.

Cheers
C.T.

I wanted to locate the starter motor, so I felt along the positive power cable that goes from the battery down behind the engine.
Once I found the connection on the back of the starter motor - I gave the wire a jiggle and it appeared a bit loose.

Thank you CaptainTuba. I had the same problem for the past 2 days and couldn't start my car even with new battery. I just I gave the wire a jiggle at the back of the engine and it started first time!

Back