Stainless Brake Lines?

Currently reading:
Stainless Brake Lines?

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
Any one know anything about making these up...?

Ive decided that Im gonna convert the Cinq to UT rear discs as the rear braking system is buggered and the handbrake is non functional on the 1242cc...and the 899cc is handbrake turn standard (dont ask how I know that ;))

One prob Im having though is regarding brake lines...looking at its normal route / setup: theres a flex. line between the car and the subframe then a solid line between the subframe and the drum.

The rear disc presents a problem here as (going off the front) the flex. line is there to take up movement in the caliper caused by pad wear (and is a MOT requirement), so to retain a similar setup, a flex pipe would be needed to go to the subframe then a solid between subframe points then another flex. between the subframe and the caliper.

To make life easier for everybody concerned (me), I would like to replace this run with one long flexible line. Anyone know how legal this is?

Making it up wont be too great a difficulty (parts can be readily sourced) :)

Last edited:
i dont think you'd really want long flexi line running about on a vital system of the car like the braking, new pipes are relatively cheap and easy to make, i had a set for the back end of mine done for less than a tenner. i beleive the point is actually to make the flexi bits as short as you can, using solid pipes to maintain a better pressure, similair to a lot of turbo systems where they use steel piping with v short silicone hose connectors. however i may only be getting this half right....!

turboned said:
i dont think you'd really want long flexi line running about on a vital system of the car like the braking, new pipes are relatively cheap and easy to make, i had a set for the back end of mine done for less than a tenner. i beleive the point is actually to make the flexi bits as short as you can, using solid pipes to maintain a better pressure, similair to a lot of turbo systems where they use steel piping with v short silicone hose connectors. however i may only be getting this half right....!

i would agree with this ive worked on some hydraulics on CNC machines and they use stainless pipe if you lengthened the rubber the pressure would drop a surprising amount. You should be able to source stainless pipe no problems but need a tool for shaping it couldnt do it by hand like the copper stuff as it will crease and cause a blockage. Let me know if you do anything else about this AOB as im definately going to convert my SX to disks at rear. Even with new cable, drums and shoes just passed on MOT so would be keen to hear how you get on.?

There is a thread in the Cento section for getting suitable lines made to order by firewarrior's contacts if that helps you Tom?

Liam

vandisian said:
i would agree with this ive worked on some hydraulics on CNC machines and they use stainless pipe if you lengthened the rubber the pressure would drop a surprising amount. You should be able to source stainless pipe no problems but need a tool for shaping it couldnt do it by hand like the copper stuff as it will crease and cause a blockage. Let me know if you do anything else about this AOB as im definately going to convert my SX to disks at rear. Even with new cable, drums and shoes just passed on MOT so would be keen to hear how you get on.?

As for the front...

Its not solid tube I wanna use, Its plastic tube with a braided stainless outer part...its really easy to source...

http://www.raldes.co.uk

Liam, no not really, as I need a specific type (Im looking at a rather off kilter sollution) of hose - imperial to metric!

As for the back, I understand that the rubber tube run will have to be as short as possible as it is much larger bore than the copper pipe, so I'll be renewing the copper pipe along the original runs and using a small length of rubber piping to allow for the caliper movement!

Last edited:
Back