St...st...stuuuuuuttering after self service... HGT 155

Currently reading:
St...st...stuuuuuuttering after self service... HGT 155

K

Karl

Hi All,

Well i completed my selfservice this morning by chucking in some Bosch Super 4s, had alreay put oil and filter and new induction air filter on her, but i have been getting a hop skip and a jump when the car is cold.

I know best practice is to let the car warm up but when you gotta get to work i just need to get in the car turn the key and drive, never did this before the service.

Now this morning i did the spark plugs but also did an ECU reset then let her tick over for 10mins obviously there was no stutter this time as she was warm...

It it likely that the car may of been running a high\low mixture due to a really old dirty air filter and very long overdue service. The car is parked outside work at the min and i'll be leaving for home at 4 so i guess i'll know if it still stutters then seen as she'll be cold.......

P010810_075601.jpg

i would personally leave it for a short while as long as it isn't too bad. it is unlikely that a sensor has gone at the same time as you've given it a service.

Ive found that the learnable ECU on bravo's can be a bit touchy and need time to adjust... every time i disconnect the battery on mine it resets and drives lumpy. usually needs 50-100 miles before its sorted.

maybe put some decent fuel in (vpower or bp ultimate), and take it down the nearest national speed limit road and give it a lot of acceleration a few times. might help it to sort itself out.

Yep as Jords says, but I rember when I used Bosch Super 4's on Marea 155 it could be little lumpy every so often.
I was then told by a few peeps inc my mate at Fiat that the 20v's are very plug sensitive and run better on the original twin electrode type plugs.
I still use the Bosch 4's tho...

yeah that is a point maybe the plugs don't agree sometimes older cars can suffer from this.

4 pin spark plugs aren't all they're cracked up to be guys. contrary to what most people say not all 4 electrodes spark simultaneously. As ive been told, the current passing to the tip will only take the fastest route and so not all 4 will spark anyway.

Iridium plugs are the best because the material they are made from is a better conductor, and produces a stronger spark....

mind you it was an NGK rep that told me that, lol.

The stutter starter before i had put the plugs in.... So it has got something to do with the Air filter the last one was a K&N cone filter (more oval to be exact) and it was fitted no more than 8 inchs from the MAF, i have now fitted an aftermarket cone filter but have fitted a longer pipe so that the filter sits in the void from the original air box... as i say its only stuttering if i get straight in and drive but when warm it goes like stink and no stutter...

P010810_075601.jpg

just my 2p, but either the plugs have the wrong gap (meaning they are the wrong ones since you cant adjust bosch super4's) or one or more is damaged. i cant think of sny other reason oher than you've damaged something else in the engine bay, maybe knocked a sensor accidentally? (ps theres no shame in it, every year i spill oil down the heatshield of my sisters catalytic converter and exhaust manifold, and have to run it for 15 mins to burn off the smoke cause the filter housing is in a stupid inaccesible area...)

Buzz
If you see a bandwagon, its already too late!
Iwillbeyou56978.jpg

Thanks but all sorted now, strange one but putting a new exhaust on the car and the morning stutters have gone away i guess the car is inhaling and exhaling properly now lol or air fuel ratio has sorted itself out....

P010810_075601.jpg