Technical Squeaky Multipla, any suggestions?

Currently reading:
Technical Squeaky Multipla, any suggestions?

Iluvmymulti

Hi, I have a 2003 1.9 jtd multi and have an ongoing problem with it! If anyone has any suggestions for what to look at I would be very appreciative.

18 months ago she failed her MOT (n), and I had to have a new off-side rear brake caliper fitted. When I got her back she had 'developed' a squeak. (There was no squeak before going in for her MOT!). It sounds like it's coming from the rear and generally starts a short time into a journey, and over the months it has started coming on earlier and earlier after starting out, normally about 5 minutes in now. It's not a continual squeak, it goes squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, as if it's something rubbing on a rotation. It's pretty high in pitch, but does sound a bit metallic, reminiscent of steel rubbing against steel. It usually happens going straight along the road and around sharp corners, but not normally when going around slight bends, and always stops when the brakes are applied. It happens more on a right-hand bend than a left-hand. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but when you're inside a moving car it's not necessarily that easy to hear where the sound originates, but would it stopping when applying the footbrake indicate it comes from the front rather than the rear?

Over the last year and a half she has been in and out of the garage and they can't find anything wrong!!!! Removing and refitting the rear brake system can give a short respite from the noise, but it doesn't take many journeys for it to start all over again. She's been in for pads and discs being cleaned. The rear discs, pads and bearings were replaced in July 2011 and it didn't squeak again until about three months later, don't know if that was coincidence or part of the cure?!? Had new tyres in February 2012 so was taken apart then, still a squeak! Garage has no suggestions about what's causing it!

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Feel like this with it at the moment :bang: and my wife can't take many more journeys with the noise. Even the children are commenting on it now and we've had to cancel holidays as don't want to drive 750miles with the noise, and I really want to find out what is causing it. Thanks for reading, I know it's a bit long, but I've tried to give as much info as possible. If you have ideas but need to know details about something please ask.

Many thanks.

Have you tried leaving some cheese in the footwell?

From your description, I used to get something similar from the front brakes on mine. A slightly tinny sounding squeak/scraping noise. It turned out to be the guide bushes for the NSF caliper - they were shot, allowing the caliper (which had also partially seized) to twist on its' pins and push the thin metal disc guard against the brake disc. I didn't evening have to be braking to get it; just turning a corner was enough to bring it on.

I had the calipers rebuilt (with new bushes and pins) and also bent the disc guard back into shape and that cured it. I've got drums on the rear of mine, so can't have a look to see if it could be the cause of your problem.

Last edited:
No Snoo, went straight for the mouse trap option but the kids didn't like it!

widemouthfrog, will get someone to look at the calipers, thanks. Not long after it started a friend who knew a bit about cars had a look and said he thought it was the new caliper/brake, but when I took it back (under warranty) to the garage who did the work they said it wasn't. Will have someone else take a look, as have always had suspicions about it, but will probably have them all checked to make sure. If it was a result of the work then I definitely won't be going back to the original garage chain! Think we have found a small, local garage we can trust so will get their opinion and hopefully get it sorted (and hopefully it'll be cheaper too!)

Thanks for the suggestion, here's hoping!

Also, check that your handbrake isn't over adjusted - the travel is (or should be) a lot longer than on most other cars. Aim for a good 5-6 clicks. 2-3 clicks will make the brakes bind even when the lever is fully down.

Back