Technical Sport button on 1.2 Lounge

Currently reading:
Technical Sport button on 1.2 Lounge

I was experimenting with the layout of the TFT cluster and found that the sport button can change the appearance of the cluster.
One problem, I have a 2016 1.2 Lounge, so it has the City button instead of Sport.
Then I discovered that you can change the button from City to Sport in MES.
So I did and indeed it changes the cluster to something more sporty looking.
Then I started driving and it felt like a different car! It instantly responds to the gas pedal.
Car is much more lively and no more sluggishness when accelerating.
I didn't expect this as I thought this was reserved for the 1.4 Sport models?
Has anyone else tried this on the 1.2?

I don't know whether the 500's Sport button changes the ignition map, or just how the ECU interprets signals from the accelerator (or both).

But I wouldn't expect the 500 to do anything too flashy, since it's a fairly simple car underneath, with quite mature (old) components which have been just enhanced a little to keep them respectable.

In that case I guess the Sport mode is just telling the ECU that you're using more throttle pedal than you actually are (so a smaller press of the pedal is needed to get the same amount of fuel injected). That makes the car more responsive and obviously that would also make it more "lively"... but the flipside is that if it's using the same ignition map, the ultimate power it can make is the same.

It's an interesting one though... and other people might know more.

Ralf S.

I'm certain that it doesn't change the ECU. In 'normal' mode, it takes about a second before the engine responds to the accelerator.
In Sport, it reacts instantly. That's it. I don't think it sends a different signal the the ECU. The engine doesn't rev any higher or anything.
It's just the delay that's gone. It won't change anything else. it's still only 69 bhp :D

Very interesting if the Sport "map" is hiding there available for all versions. I would tend to agree though it must be a fairly simple adjustment (like altering the throttle pedal potentiometer signal) not least because the 1.2 and 1.4 have (I think) ECUs from different manufacturers (Marelli and Bosch). Though the pedal assemblies could be the same.

Does anything happen to the steering resistance, out of interest?

Nick

didn't really notice any difference in steering. If any, it's a bit lighter. Not more direct as you would expect in Sport mode.

Back