speedometer ????????????

Currently reading:
speedometer ????????????

C

chris

hey guys wee update from the 8 years later back to the bravo post......

got her eventually ,passed the mot and brought her home......
1 small problem

when out driving tonight i realized the speedometer isnt working on the dash??? everything else works throughout the full car apart from this ?

is this easy to fix and if so how to do ???
1248278311.JPG

Well, there may be a choice of things. I cant tell you if its a cable driven or speed sensor via wire, but check firstly at the gearbox. Towards the firewall you should see the speed sensor poking out the top of gearbox. If its an electric type, there will be two spade connectors (most likely) which case test against continuaty with test meter, ( under rotation ok(pulse)) or if not, its a cable driven unit, in which case the connector will need unscrewing. Easy check again, you want to see if it all turns ok.

If yes, does the cable turn freeley (use long nose pliers) . If yes, the speedo unit in dash is faulty, or slim chance has disconnected itself from the cable.

Hope that gives a start for you ..

hi mate its defo an electric 1 due to having the dash board out today,found the small switch in front of gear box took it off and was getting 12 volts on the cable ,but could not get right into the gear box connection but from where i seen it looks like to needle pin connections is there prob the sensor on that ??

also put short circuit and various resistances on the cable leaving that connects to the gear box but the speedo does not move at all,i tried this to imitate the car moving ?dont know wether its the sensor on the gear box or the s/meter itself,any more help appreciated guys??????