Technical spare wheel ( again)

Currently reading:
Technical spare wheel ( again)

chance

I have found someone who can sell me what looks like a suitable spare for my 500L 1972. it is off a 126 and has a domed front presumable to take a more modern clip on type hub cap. They say that the stud layout is the same for the 126 and the 500, it looks OK from the picture but before I fork out £30 including postage, anyone think it should be OK ? thanks picture attached

Attachments

• Fiat 126 wheel.jpg
    Fiat 126 wheel.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 72
Both your 500 and the early 126 wheels will be 198mm PCD, but as Oops says, best to check with the seller first.

Hi Matt;
I think you mean '500 and early 126 wheels have a bolt pattern of 190pcd' not '198' ( the standard Fiat wheel bolt pattern is 98pcd--including later 126s)---this wheel looks like an early (594cc) 126--they did not have clip-on wheel trims, the wheel pattern was the 'wheel-trim'. 'Chance' needs to check the tyre size--even after expanding the picture I couldn't pick out a tyre size.:)

How much more expensive would a proper wheel be? Is this worth all the trouble?

Pcd will be right. That wheel style was used on the 500R with a 3.5J rim and on the early 126 cars with a wider 4J rim :)

Why not buy a new wheel?

You can buy a new wheel that matches the current original wheels on your car for I think around $50. Check ebay Italy. A number of the Italian 500 parts suppliers have these on their web sites.
You would then need a new tube and tyre.
John

By the way, what is more important than the size of the tire you show in your picture, is the age of the tire. Those look old. Old tires are unsafe. So you are going to have to replace the tire anyway. What good is a spare if it fails on you. Might as well get a proper correct wheel with a new tube and tire and be safe.
John

Last edited:
Back