500 Sound systems to replace the standard fitted

Currently reading:
500 Sound systems to replace the standard fitted

LauraMoss

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew any decent sound systems to replace the standard one the fiat 500 lounge comes with. :)

Hello Laura, and welcome. :)

You can fit any sound system with an adaptor for the fascia, because the hole the stereo fits in is standard-sized.

However, because you have Blue&Me, I'd suggest doing a speaker upgrade first, and adding a subwoofer under the driver's seat, which is what I'm doing.

I've decided to keep the standard headunit as I feel the weakest part of the standard system is not the headunit but the paper cone speakers. They are a very light construction and therefore produce a lot of sound for the money (would have cost only a few quid each) including quite a lot of mid-bass, but higher frequencies are indistinct, so generally it's a 'muddy' sound. You have the tweeters (in the windscreen pillars) but again, I don't think they are the best available.

The fact that FIAT offered an upgraded sound system (Interscope) as an option which included different speakers, an amplifier, and a subwoofer under the seat, but the standard headunit, suggests to me that there's room for improvement without changing the headunit.

The doors will benefit from sound deadening, as there is not much fitted as standard. Any speaker sounds better if it is installed in a box, such as a door that is properly sealed and deadened.

Perhaps talk to your local car stereo shops - try to find one that is interested in doing a proper installation rather than merely selling you the speakers - and see what they suggest?

-Alex

Last edited:
Hello Laura, and welcome. :)

You can fit any sound system with an adaptor for the fascia, because the hole the stereo fits in is standard-sized.

However, because you have Blue&Me, I'd suggest doing a speaker upgrade first, and adding a subwoofer under the driver's seat, which is what I'm doing.

I've decided to keep the standard headunit as I feel the weakest part of the standard system is not the headunit but the paper cone speakers. They are a very light construction and therefore produce a lot of sound for the money (would have cost only a few quid each) including quite a lot of mid-bass, but higher frequencies are indistinct, so generally it's a 'muddy' sound. You have the tweeters (in the windscreen pillars) but again, I don't think they are the best available.

The fact that FIAT offered an upgraded sound system (Interscope) as an option which included different speakers, an amplifier, and a subwoofer under the seat, but the standard headunit, suggests to me that there's room for improvement without changing the headunit.

The doors will benefit from sound deadening, as there is not much fitted as standard. Any speaker sounds better if it is installed in a box, such as a door that is properly sealed and deadened.

Perhaps talk to your local car stereo shops - try to find one that is interested in doing a proper installation rather than merely selling you the speakers - and see what they suggest?

-Alex

Any idea what size the standard speakers are? :)

Any idea what size the standard speakers are? :)

I feel I might be stepping into a trap here ;), but I'm going to say 6" - 6.5" maybe - they are a custom-made thing used in other FIAT models such as the Punto - a round speaker cone in a triangular plastic mounting. I've used some MDF rings to mount my 6.75" speakers (yes it really does say 6 3/4") but any round 6" speaker could be made to fit the front doors, even if mounted flush against the steel. It's very easy compared to certain other cars - my Alfa Spider (and GTV) spring to mind, as they have a 5 x 7" oval speaker (5x7, not 6x4!) and any slightly-larger-than-standard 5x7/6x8 just won't fit the recessed, convoluted shape of the unsealed door trim mounting. Most people stick a round 5 1/4" speaker in those and then you can't seal it properly because the door trim isn't flat and has slots for the grille etc. The 500 is simple in comparison and sealing the door was easy too.

The rear speakers look like slightly smaller dual-cone jobbies (5 1/4"?) but again their mounting is included in the speaker itself, so if replacing you could put just about anything into a sheet of MDF and screw that MDF to the door. It will be more difficult (than the doors) to seal because the door trim intrudes into the rear side panel. I suggest 6" speakers again but I'll be leaving my rear speakers as-is, as I prefer a front sound stage (rear speakers should only be slightly noticeable, like your home theatre surround speakers). If you had people riding in the back of the 500 often, then you might consider 6" coaxial speakers for the rear.

-Alex

Last edited:
Does anyone know about this one:

"1 Din DVD/GPS Player For FIAT 500 BLACK or BEIGE Available BLUETOOTH/IPOD"
seen on EBAY
could be interesting if someone had experience with this since it seems to fullfill all needs... GPS
and so on and looks like it works with the BLUE & ME

can´t post the link just yet (the 5 post rule), but you can search on EBAY for the line I highlightet...

Does anyone know about this one:

"1 Din DVD/GPS Player For FIAT 500 BLACK or BEIGE Available BLUETOOTH/IPOD"
seen on EBAY
could be interesting if someone had experience with this since it seems to fullfill all needs... GPS
and so on and looks like it works with the BLUE & ME

can´t post the link just yet (the 5 post rule), but you can search on EBAY for the line I highlightet...

Hi Lindegaard,

Did you see https://www.fiatforum.com/500/290654-inbuilt-satnav-specifically-500-a.html ?

Cheers,
-Alex

Back