General some help please!

Currently reading:
General some help please!

right... i aint got a clue on this one and it might not be a problem ever again but its wierd and i wanna know whats going on ...

I just had to goto the shop to get something and got into my Uno 999cc fire and started it. started fine first time (as usual) but was idling a little bit higher than usual... nothing to be concerned about (i thought) and didnt pay any attention to it.

Drove off upto the shop with no problems atall (except it was still idling slightly higher than normal). got to the shop, was closed... so drove off home.

On the way I thought ide just quickyly stop and check if there was anything noticable that i could see that was making the engine idle higher than normal. poped the bonnet, had a listen and a look. couldnt see anything but could hear than the idling was lowering between its normal idle and the newly adopted higher idle... Still thinking nothing of it i drove off again.

Got to a junction and stopped to give way. was sat there for about 5 seconds when the car just randomly cut out. Thinkin it was weird (which is was, the car wasnt idling low or souinding like it was going to stall, it just cut out compeltly for no reason), I tried restarting the engine, it took a slight little bit of persuasion and started. I drove off in first thinking that that was it... WRONG!... the car started trying to cut out as i was driving which threw me forward when it cut out and pushed me back as it burst into life again, very fast... It was the kind of motion you see when a learner brings the clutch up too fast. I also noticed that the temp gauge was in the middle where it usualy sits once it has warmed up.

Anyway, the car competly cut out again so i gently rolled to the side of the road and put the hazards on. I tried to start the car again and it did, but then started cutting out again and restarting itself. I decided to pop the bonnet and see if anything had come looose or anything that i could see was imediatly wrong. I couldnt see anything and so checked tried the ignition again...

Started, cut out... tried again... Started, cut out... again, again and again... untill i eventually managed to get it to stay on (although it was slightly dropping the rev every now and then... so i tried to drive off and got 1st gear, second gear... ahhh, big cut off! forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards... then it was fine again, sped up a bit more, started cutting out again and then eventually did (luckily i had got to the top of a hill and just rolled all the way to the bottom [8D])...

I rolled into a little siding thing and put on the hazards. tried to start the car again and after much persuation... hurrah... started, no cutting out, no funny reving... hmmm...

So i drove off and the car was back to normal again, got home without any problems atall... Even the reving was back to normal... very very weird...

Anyone any ideas of what i can check in the morning for this problem. This is probably the worst thing that can happen when driving on a motorway and i dont want it happening again in that sort of situation!...

Thanks

Uno "Fire" 999cc
Lowered 40mm Uprated Gmax shock & Spring system
Fox Evo3 15" Alloy Wheels
3" Rage Backbox
E-Tech hatch Spoiler
2x 450W 12" Custom Built Bass Box
2x Pro Audio 6x9s
Sony SPL-X 500W Amp

You Like?

yeha the cap did fell off the other day so i put it back on.. it might have been damaged tho... How much am i looking at for a new one?>

Uno "Fire" 999cc
3" Rage Backbox
E-Tech hatch Spoiler
2x Pro Audio 6x9s
Sony SPL-X 500W Amp

You Like?

will do that but they will all be shut over christmas so ill have to wait.

ive just been out in my uno and it seems to be all back to normal... Very strange

Uno "Fire" 999cc
3" Rage Backbox
E-Tech hatch Spoiler
2x Pro Audio 6x9s
Sony SPL-X 500W Amp

You Like?

Right, sounds stoopid I know, but I assume as its a FIRE engine it has an ECU?

Check MAP sensor- mine does it a lot- its due to fuel getting into that sensor line. Detach it and blow fuel out. That's all I can recommend i'm afraid.

Arse

Ill think of something witty....just wait and see............wait I might not.

Hi,
I might be able to help on this subject although maybe not. I have a 94 M reg Uno 999 (1.0 ie) single point injection which sounds like the same model as you. Mine originally had a very similar problem, it run fine for a period of time, and forever if you reved, but at idle, it would just stall randomly for no reason.

I am not much of a mechanic so please put up with the lack of technicals. Firstly, we swopped the throttle body (with another scrapped Uno which ran fine - cleaned up etc.) and readjusted the cable, it helped a little - probably because of slightly more rev's, but didn't fix the problem. Next, my Grandfather (quite handy with cars despite being 84!) spent time on the engine and swopped the distributor (if this is the white cap sort of thing with wires going off to the spark plugs??), this didn't help however. Then he replaced the thing that the distributor attached to. I think it is a vacuum pump or something? I'm quite it has pressure hoses to it anyway, but it was 6 months a go. Whatever it is, it has a wire connector onto it also with maybe 2-6 wires, i would go and look but my car isn't where I am. I think it had two bolts to attach it to the engine. When replaced, the engine started running just fine.

I am sorry I can't be more specific but I just thought I could try and give you the benefit of my little experience. I know how many Uno's suffer from random stalling!

Regards
Paul

so what you are telling me really is that replacing the screws that hold the vacume advance unit onto the engine is what made ur car run fine?? very strange ;)

Anyway, I have got a new distrubutor cap (£2.45) and will be replacing the old one soon... this might help a bit because the old one is slightly broken.

The other thing is that i remember now that I put that fancy petrol from shell in the other day, optimax or something. Could it be that the car doesnt like it?

Uno "Fire" 999cc
3" Rage Backbox
E-Tech hatch Spoiler
2x Pro Audio 6x9s
Sony SPL-X 500W Amp

You Like?

Sorry if i didn't make sense towards the end, no, just the vacuum advance unit was replaced, not the two bolts. But along with the distributor (no difference) and the throttle body (little difference). When replaced from another working car (the vacuum advance unit), it worked fine. Not just the bolts, that would be more a miracle!

ahh well that makes more sence now! when i get a chance to fill my tank with the normal unleaded again I will try gettin a new one. might sort my car oput altogether!

Uno "Fire" 999cc
3" Rage Backbox
E-Tech hatch Spoiler
2x Pro Audio 6x9s
Sony SPL-X 500W Amp

You Like?

Hope it helps. Problem is with these early single point injection engines is that although the ideas for injection existed and technology possible, it was kinda bodged together and that is why many people like you and I have problems with it.

Regards and enjoy the new year.

Paul

Back