Technical Smoking 2009 2.3 Ducato under load - multiecuscan report

Currently reading:
Technical Smoking 2009 2.3 Ducato under load - multiecuscan report

firestarterphil

So - this one has thrown me completely and I am after some guidance.

I have got a 2009 2.3 Multijet which is pumping out a ton of black smoke when under load, clearly indicating a poor fuel:air mixture.

I have been through all of the supercharging system with a smoke test and found a bit of a leak in the intercooler so decided to replace this and have also replaced the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and the intercooler to the throttle body as they were all pretty cracked (they're not cheap!)

However I still have the same situation, as soon as I am under load, I have black smoke.

I have connected the multiecuscan and have checked the throttle valve actuator, which is all appears to be working perfectly (5% when running and 98% on switch off)

I then ran a correlation between the throttle position, desired air intake and actual air intake and this is where I still have a significant discrepancy.

At 5% pedal position, I have a desired intake of 350mg/i and an actual of approx 460mg/i
At 20% pedal position I have desired of 552mg/i and an actual of 497mg/i but at 50% pedal position I have a desired of 1054mg/i and an actual of only 560mg/i

I assume that this is where I have an issue, but can't work out why. My turbo appears to be boosting up nicely, although I am not sure the values I should be expecting.

I have read about issues on the earlier throttle bodies, but believe this is fixed on the 2009 versions. In short - I am lost and could really benefit from some knowledge!

Any help would be hugely received.
F_P

Diesel pressures are all looking good and I have replaced both the diesel and air filters to rule those out, as well.

At 5%, 10%, 20% & 50% gas pedal positions I have Desired Fuel pressure and Actual Fuel pressure following each other exactly.

You can see why this one is proving a challenge to work out.

sounds like the oxygen sensor is acting up allowing more fuel in than is needed had it happen to mine once its located downstream from the turbo in the exhaust system Cheers adam

Thanks

I have checked the throttle actuator and it is working correctly - there is a test sequence for it in the multiecuscan tool and I can also see it is open when it should be open and then closes off to shut down the engine.

I will have a look at the O2 sensor to see what readings I can get from that.

Cheers all
F_P

Does your motor have an egr valve? If so, they can and do stick slightly open with carbon buildup and cause exactly the symptoms you are getting.

Ian.

Thanks

I have checked the throttle actuator and it is working correctly - there is a test sequence for it in the multiecuscan tool and I can also see it is open when it should be open and then closes off to shut down the engine.

I will have a look at the O2 sensor to see what readings I can get from that.

Cheers all
F_P

Best way to check o2 sensor is with an oscilloscope if you have access to one.

Back