General Sil rust - How bad is bad?

Currently reading:
General Sil rust - How bad is bad?

After successfully changing the engine mount I found this lovely patch of rust. How bad is bad and what’s the possible solutions to this?

All I’ve managed to find so far is

Corrosion

A vehicle can fail with respect to corrosion for:

* excessive corrosion in a 'prescribed area' — within 30 cms of certain safety related components, e.g. brakes, steering, suspension, seat belt mountings etc.
* excessive corrosion not in a 'prescribed area', but which is likely to adversely affect the vehicle's brakes or steering. 'Excessive corrosion' can mean a hole or a significantly weakened structure.

Attachments

• Image00300.jpg
    Image00300.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 49
More details on patches? Something i can buy or is it a case of making? My mate is good with a welder, but i'm not sure if i trust him with this.....

Italian Coke Can said:
More details on patches? Something i can buy or is it a case of making?

1. Get a piece of metal plate the right size
  2. Hammer said piece of metal to match any contours
  3. Weld it in, leaving no gaps, i.e. full seam weld

HTH (y)

chaos said:
  1. Get a piece of metal plate the right size
  2. Hammer said piece of metal to match any contours
  3. Weld it in, leaving no gaps, i.e. full seam weld

HTH (y)

Thought there might of been a more technical method

I forgot to say derust the sills before welding :)

It was reasons like this that my 899cc is lying in my garage being stripped of anything saleable...:)

Cost of repair was silly and car was dirt cheap. That and I had an idea...

Italian Coke Can said:
Thought there might of been a more technical method

Not really, you can buy a full sill but thats laughably stupid. What has been suggested is the best method and basically the only one. That woudlnt fail an MOT as its isolated enough at the inute, but when it spreads upwards and worse, further under, it compromises strength even more so. Basically cut out the rust, and while its got the hole in the sill that you have removed, spray some preservative down the sill if possible, like waxoyl or even old engine oil also de-rust the surrounding area. Tidy the edges and weld a plate it, then smooth it back and when cool smoth over with primer if you wish to. If not then just paitn over with preservative paint - good as new (y) (lol nearly anyway)

Excellent. I'll get onto it soonish. Depends how much other stuff to get it through it's MOT.

(y)

Back