Technical Self-locking doors

Currently reading:
Technical Self-locking doors

fiat_freak

After 9 years my 1.4 Grande Punto Active has decided, every time I start the engine and pull away, to operate the central locking. All the doors go click and I'm locked in. If I just use the dash button to unlock it, all the doors unlock and stay unlocked until I switch off and restart the engine.

My local garage diagnosed "Italian electrical gremlins" and said it's not worth trying to track it down. Anybody had similar experience please?

Hi. Have you used the menu lately? I don't know your car but it is possible there is provision to disable the auto locking in the menu settings. Have a look in your handbook?

I didn't think Actives had the full menu. Which one of these do you see?

507064d1298536461-fiat-grande-punto-test-drive-review-mfd.jpg

On the bottom one there's "Autoclose" which changes what you're suggesting

9 years without anti car-jacking ? Well, not so obvious if you're not aware, have seen people never turned the AC on since they thought it was (the little picto) for extreme cold weather ...

Which one of these do you see?
Have a look in the exit menu.

Different car, I know, but my Jeep locked the doors a few seconds after the ignition key was removed. I had visions of being outside a locked car with the keys still in the ignition ..

I was able to change it using the exit menu. I would imagine your car will have a similar setting somewhere in the (exit) menu. I don't know what the autoclose menu is .. but that also sounds promising?

Last edited:
Thank you one and all. You were all right.

DG. Mine was the MFD display and I have turned my auto-locking off as per your advice.

All goes to prove the amount of knowledge on this website and the power of the huge team! Thanks

Great, assuming from what you said that stopped the doors locking when you drive off? Wonder why that suddenly started happening?

Personally I'm in favour of multi-press door unlocking (where only the driver's door opens on first click) and auto-close both for security. But at least you now know how to change functions!

Right again DG. I have them "off".

Find it quite distracting when they lock on the move, have no need for that level of security in Cornwall farming territory (so far!) and prefer the idea (if I am unlucky enough or stupid enough to be in a big accident) that Emergency Services can open my door easily

Thanks again

Back