General Seicento Accelerator pedal

Currently reading:
General Seicento Accelerator pedal

Emsy

Hey there,

I've bought a 2001 (Y reg) seicento and i have a problem so i was wondering if anyone could help with advice. I have to sit the closest you can to the pedals and wheels because i am very short. When doing this, my foot on the accelerator pedal really hurts, so much that i can't drive for more than 5 minutes. Because the way the pedal is positioned (great design fiat! (n) ) my foot is upright against it whilst im close and straining the top of my foot really bad. Its feels as though as my foot is being bent towards my knees! :(

I've tried mostly everything, moving my seat back means i can't reach the clutch and keeping my foot hovering over the top of the pedal makes my leg ache and seems quite dangerous! Every car i've driven before has a normal pedal for accelerating with that can be used easily?

I'm quite upset because im only 18 and I love my new little first car - it's perfect but im gonna break my foot! Is there something that could be done or changed? Help v.much appreciated!!

Ems.

p.s. - haha, just found a quote from a review - "the accelerator pedal is at a weird angle requiring you to wear shoes with a heel to avoid shin splints! "

custard said:
try resting your foot on the floor(on the edge of your foot)and just using the tip/side of oyur foot.
i have a dodgy ankle and used this method.
hard to describe im afraid

Tried im afraid :( Its the angle of the pedal that doesnt give me much freedom to move my foot around it. I even tried size 9 shoes on and even my boyfriend thought the pedal was made by monkeys! hehe. Yet, my boyfriend has offered to heat up and bend the long stick/lever thingy (Yes im a girl!) so its nearer to my foot and make it suit, but im just asking around 1st so he doesnt have to go to some trouble.

Ems.

Can I ask how tall you are? My friend is 5 foot 1 and can manage just fine. She's tiny. I never thought about it before...........

But you may find that some bending/welding is required. The trick would be to find a car you're really comfortable in and try and match the dimensions. Also the "organ pedal" style where the pedal is hinged on the floor (and the bit we normally think of as a pedal runs in a channel cut in the back) will probably work well.

fingers99 said:
Can I ask how tall you are?

Im 4ft 11.5; i dont know why im in pain, i feel so stupid! :eek:

Thanks for the advice guys!

Now the alarm keeps going off! :(

2 minutes after ive locked it all up the whole car starts beeping and flashing - everythings shut, locked and sweet!

kritip said:
Its prob an aftermarket alarm, know what make/model it is?

Autowatch ... dont know the model yet :confused:

Its behind the lower dash compartment on the passenger side so its coming off 2moro for a better look. Seems like a sensitivity thing according to people ive asked to look at it. Scared that chavs are gonna steal it tonight now its not on hehe!

Last edited:
I kinda have the same problem as you, but im 5"11 n have the seat further back. But i drove down to Cornwall from Cumbria the other week and after a couple of hours driving my foot was killing! But i solved the problem by goin faster and keeping my foot to the floor :D but not a solution for when u have to change gear :(

But i agree that the pedal is at a stupid angle!:mad:

Sam

The best cure is to have really large feet :p. Say in the region of size 12/13s?. Never had a problem with the old right foot, even on long journeys :)

jonesei88 said:
I kinda have the same problem as you, but im 5"11 n have the seat further back. But i drove down to Cornwall from Cumbria the other week and after a couple of hours driving my foot was killing! But i solved the problem by goin faster and keeping my foot to the floor :D but not a solution for when u have to change gear :(

But i agree that the pedal is at a stupid angle!:mad:

Sam

I solved it - my boyfriend raised the carpet for me so my foot reach the pedal comfortably ... it worked, i did 70 miles last night ... and conquered the motorway :)

The alarm - we rang up Autowatch and they helped us alot with working out what was wrong, turns out that the sensors on the doors are a bit faulty, a wire may be trapped or nicked a bit, so may need to order some more if it turns out its just them.

Emsy said:
I solved it - my boyfriend raised the carpet for me so my foot reach the pedal comfortably ... it worked, i did 70 miles last night ... and conquered the motorway :)
70 miles is easy try 320miles to cornwall that was a killer might try installing an organ like pedal, my dad has one in his car n it works like a charm.

Sam

jonesei88 said:
70 miles is easy try 320miles to cornwall that was a killer might try installing an organ like pedal, my dad has one in his car n it works like a charm.

Sam

I can drive similar distances with no problems whatsoever (y)
You could try to use a bolt on cover which extends further down to the floor (a la the Paddy Hopkirk accelerator extension used on Classic Minis)

Back