sei11.jpg

Seicento Seicento Abarth 1.1

Introduction

About time I made a thread for our second car,
Its used by Carly (quite a few have met her at local meets and FF shows)
We originally had a 899 sx seicento and seen this sei abarth advertised very close to us :) so we decided to change..

Anyway over the year we've owned this its had a few suttle changes..

FK lowering 40mm springs
Interior roof and A pillars re-retrimmed in Red
sprayed alloys in anthracite with red speckles in the paint (can't really notice it unless you look closely haha)

sei11.jpg

the previous owner had sprayed over the Abarth Grille and other bits of the car in red but it started chipping away and looked a mess so all the mesh was taken out sprayed back to black and the Abarth Grille was re-sprayed
sei2.png

sei37.jpg

sei42.jpg

Future plans.

GT3 custom Exhaust (may be on in time for MITcar)
Carly would like to lower it some more..
Well been out tonight and the noise has appeared to stop... typical haha. I will be replacing the water pump and timing belt tensioner just out of piece of mind anyway.

I cant get any Ramp time at my garage so its going to have to be left until next Saturday unless I can grab a local mate to give me a second hand and change it all one evening..

almost certainly the pump then should be witnessed from the weep holes

buy a rechargeable led torch and borrow axle stand work late

been adding anti squeak from factor or brake fluid when factor closed when the banshee squealed for over forty years

none of the glycols are good lubs and not everyone will have 50% some people use OAT.

Ethylene Glycol is an extremely poor lubricant which is why they add seal lubricant to antifreeze. If Ethylene Glycol gets into your oil system (or water pump) it will destroy bearings as it removes the lubrication properties from surfaces and oils. It remains an extremely poor lubricant even after you've added Dot 4 brake fluid which is in fact normally Ethanol, Oxybisethenol and Diethylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether. Last time I checked that didn't make it mostly a miscible oil at all. The main thing miscible oil is used for is paint and even then it needs to be in very high concentrations. They use it because it makes the oil paints water soluble so you can clean your brushes, maybe you would recommend adding paint to your cooling system? As for Glycols, Propylene Glycol is an extremely good lubricant however only used in the most expensive antifreezes and its heat carrying capabilities are inferior to Ethylene Glycol. The good thing with Propylene Glycol is if it gets into your oil system it doesn't mince your engine. I could go on for hours here posting data sheets and dispelling the myth that brake fluid is a good thing to add to your cooling system. Just because you've been doing it for forty years doesn't make it right.

Sorry for going a bit off topic Reuuk. :devil:

Honeymonster no problem its a good read haha, This Glycol antifreeze then? is it best to avoid? as I will change it also when changing the water pump :) (

No chap, Ethylene Glycol is a great coolant you just need a water pump that the seal works properly on, don't drink it either it crystallizes in your brain and is very hard to detect in an autopsy hahahah. :D

PG is better if it gets in the oil, not as good at heat transfer. Only usually used on mega expensive commercials, mining equipment etc. Also the main component of that waterless Evans stuff which personally I wouldn't recommend.

Just use what Fiat recommend or any after market with Fiat approval. (y)

it crystallizes in your brain and is very hard to detect in an autopsy

mmmm, good to know, can think of more than few applications for that knowledge... On another note, i suppose this is why you shouldn't let your cat lick the drive when you spill some, why they are so obsessed with the stuff is beyond me - stuff tastes nasty!

Tools you need are , what ever it is to take the arch liner off :)

13mm socket for the 4 bolts around the water pump , and to remove the bottom pully
13 mm spanner for the tensner
17 (iirc) mm spanner to hold the top cam bolt
and thats it (Y)

If i were you mate id just replace the water pump and not bother wiht a new belt its not that old :)

oo you will need some gasket sealent to , I could take my old one off my 1.1 it wasnt that old , think it was new before i got the car , so a year old MAX you can have it?

@jatkinson why do we need gasket sealant? @blu73 all the original screws are still there so 8mm socket :)

now to see if i can get my garage to order the parts in time! haha
@Honeymonster I wonder if thats what killed it, I replaced the coolant with glycol when I changed the radiator few weeks back...

edit;

recon its worth me replacing the belt tensioner as well?

Last edited:
Some third party ones come with paper gaskets but Id still smear both sides of the paper gasket with RTV (instant gasket) let it cure for 15 minutes and then assemble. Id clean the engine interface carefully first, there is likely to be lots of RTV stuck to it, finger nail will do normally.

There are three impellor types cast iron, plastic or machined.

The OEM ones can be cast or plastic... If you are fitting a plastic one Id be real careful not to impact it.

My rip of open on Sunday factor just charged me 30 GBP for 3rd party, he wanted my engine number as well...

Back