Technical seem to have found the problem with the punto

Currently reading:
Technical seem to have found the problem with the punto

Lemzip

well opened the hood for a change and noticed a sligh smoke coming out of the enjine. not the exact location (for mk2 punto) is the steel casing around the 4 metal pipes that come out the enjine that go down to the exhaust (cat i think its called no idea)

could this be my juddery problems also in first gear taking off, it hesitates long before it actually goes. hope this is connected.

also i think it gets warm alot quicker lately

Last edited:
ChrisUK said:
Those 4 metal pipes is your exhaust manifold each pipe comming from a different cylander. Were exactly is the smoke comming from? is it the seam were the top of the engine is bolted onto the bottom just above the top of the exhaust manifold?

no its actually coming out from under the steel casing, just a slight puff of smoke now and again.

its coming out from about 2-3 in under the manifold pipes where it connects to the enjine.

Are you using any oil or water?

Any signs the head gasket could have gone again - oily water or watery oil? Mayo on the oil cap? The getting warm quick comment may point toward this.

When you noticed the smoke, was the car cold - could it have been condensation or rainwater dripping down onto a hot zorst?

When the head gasket went on mine it was actually firing oil out from the gasket at the turbo, zorst and radiator. Made some considerable mess, I can tell you, and a smoke trail that Thrust SSC would have been proud of.

sounds like the outlet manifold gasket has gone, when you accellerate the engine turns against the direction the engine is revving, so most engines turn clockwise (don't they?) so when you turn the through 90 degrees (or look at it from the gearbox side of the car) it will be turning forward. When you put your foot down the engine will be forced in the oposite direction as the fly wheel (i.e. towards the dash of your car), the engine mounts will stop some of the movement, but they have rubber bushes on them which allow some move ment (I'm getting there OK).

When the engine moves the outlet maifold is forced appart by the force of the engine (not by very much hopefully) normally the gasket will allow keep a seal (sp?) between the outlets and the manifold, but what is happening in this case is that the casket it not sealing either because it is not functioning correctly, or the manifold has not been installed correctly, or the manifold has a crack in it.

What should you do?? If you have a friend who has some mechanical knowledge, show them ask their opinion, they may be able to help you fix it on the cheap.

thanks for the comments guys.... a bloke at work who used to be a mecanic suggested the smoke was probably from the water as it was wet under the car yestersday which i think it was as it was wet underneath, however he said at his point of view from what ive told him it sounds like not enough petrol is getting into the car that it needs which probably fits in with when i started to happen as it started only when i filled up with Shell petrol and not my usual safeway special.

he thinks that the petrol system needs a clean but recommends i take it to a dealer who can hook it up to the computer and it will tell them instantly.

now...even thugh no warning light are on etc, could there still be something wrong like this that the car wouldnt pick up itself?

fixitagaintomorrow said:
Are you using any oil or water?

Any signs the head gasket could have gone again - oily water or watery oil? Mayo on the oil cap? The getting warm quick comment may point toward this.

When you noticed the smoke, was the car cold - could it have been condensation or rainwater dripping down onto a hot zorst?

When the head gasket went on mine it was actually firing oil out from the gasket at the turbo, zorst and radiator. Made some considerable mess, I can tell you, and a smoke trail that Thrust SSC would have been proud of.

fix, dont think im using alot of water or oil, water seems solid just on the max line and hasnt moved in a good few weeks and oil is the usual amount.

when the last time the headgasket whent i didnt think it did go actually as in the end all that i wanted fixing was the radiator fan to spin but it didnt and the dealership (INCHCAPE FIAT OF SHREWSBURY, ROBBING SON OF A B1TCH TO$$ERS) said it was headgasket got it fixed after new cooling system but all it was, was a 10p fuse that went. and ever since then....let the problems begin.

also they are not a fiat dealership as i have complained to fiat anymore....and they wernt when i went there even though they still had the fiat stuff on etc.

had a look at car at lunch time, seems to be the water pump is broken think it has a crack and water is spilling out.

could this be my power problems and car getting hot probs....seems to be the smoke was from the water onto the hot enjine.

Back