Technical scudo temperature.

Currently reading:
Technical scudo temperature.

jenna3000

when driving the engine temperature is always around 70. the book says the the needle should hover around the middle which is 90. but its always around 70. is this right.

1999 scudo with 1.9 diesel engine.

Hi ,
Dash gauges can be quite inaccurate.
Does heater blow nice and hot?
Do you have an infrared thermometer?
If not you could change the thermostat , make sure to get one with the correct opening temperature. Check it opens before fitting by putting it in pan of boiling water.
Jack

when driving the engine temperature is always around 70. the book says the the needle should hover around the middle which is 90. but its always around 70. is this right.

1999 scudo with 1.9 diesel engine.
I tried to find specified temp in my old trade books, the earlier ones did, but not yours.
Assuming your gauge is accurate and the book says 90degrees, ideally engines run most efficiently at the correct temp as all the metal is expanded, pistons etc so run quieter and burn less oil, more economical etc.
Non turbo ones tend to run cooler, but it may be worth checking if the thermostat is opening at correct point.
In the old days I used to fit Smiths "winter " thermostats to my vehicles 88 degrees rather than 82 degrees as it warmed the heater up quicker to demist etc. but now adays they tend to be model specific.

thanks.
heater does blow nice and hot.
which infrad red guage should i get . where is it pointed at

If you don't have an infra red thermometer it's not worth getting one just for one thing.
If it bothers you fit a new thermostat and replace coolant at same time.

Back