Scratches & chips in paint

Currently reading:
Scratches & chips in paint

Nicola88

I have a few general chips & scratches in my paintwork off the road & where a shopping trolley bumped my back bumper scratching it, I have got a hold of my cars colour of paint. What is the best way to apply it?

I would have used blue t-cut personally but since you already have the paint (I keep a stock of mine lol) a little cotton swab I find is best, only need a very very small amount and a coupe of coats should do it.

I'd still use the tcut though if the scratch / chip isn't too deep

I have the plain t-cut & have tried that on it but totally useless & a waste of money. It dosnt work on even the tiniest scratch. Surely the paint is better right?

I have the plain t-cut & have tried that on it but totally useless & a waste of money. It dosnt work on even the tiniest scratch. Surely the paint is better right?

T-cut is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot on modern paint because of the lacquer. Less is more when using touch up paint, you might have to build up the thickness with several small applications. Once it has dried through (needs heat at this time of year) you can attempt to cut it back flush with the rest of the paint work using a fine cutting paste if feeling brave, but go easy. I suspect there are videos of how to do it on youtube.

Nicola.

It depends on the severity of the scratch.
If it's gone down to the undercoat, then no amount of polishing will fix this.
Stone chips would ordinarily go down to the undercoat.

A small scratch however, may just have scratched the lacquer or paint surface.
In these curcumstances, a medium polish like T-Cut or a mild cutting compund is the best option.
The best T-Cut is the runny bottle version, not the squirty tube.
Also note that cutting compounds are not a wipe on/wipe off affair, you have to work it in quite well.

Last edited:
Slight thread hi-jack sorry, easier than making a new thread on a very similar subject :)

I need to apply some to mine too, however mine will be over the top of the traders existing attempt. He has painted one maybe two layers of a completely different colour, not only that it's sloppy and on the good paint too around the edges. How can I fix that, do I want to rub a bit of thinner on his attempt first? I can post a picture if it helps.

Don't use thinners.

Depending on how big an area you're trying to recover.

If its a small area, maybe the size of a shoe box lid, then you'll probably get away with doing it by hand.
Using a cutting compound, and working on the paint you want to remove, (try to avoid the good paint) rub and rub and rub till your arms fall off.
Eventually the rubbish paint will come off revealing the paint underneath.
You'll need to keep it well lubricated to avoid burning, so use lots of compound and don't be afraid to use a little water.
If your'e really brave a combination of compound, water and P3000 wet & dry paper will speed things up, but will also get you in to trouble pretty quickly if your'e not careful.
Alternatively, one of those buffing machines (look a bit like an angle grinder), will speed things up a little.

If it's a large area like a whole wing, then you've got your work cut out.

We used to swear by 'Faracle' cutting compound, which comes in various grades. This is what the pro painters use.

It's still available, Fleabay has tons of ads.

Last edited:
Don't use thinners.

Depending on how big an area you're trying to recover.

If its a small area, maybe the size of a shoe box lid, then you'll probably get away with doing it by hand.
Using a cutting compound, and working on the paint you want to remove, (try to avoid the good paint) rub and rub and rub till your arms fall off.
Eventually the rubbish paint will come off revealing the paint underneath.
You'll need to keep it well lubricated to avoid burning, so use lots of compound and don't be afraid to use a little water.
If your'e really brave a combination of compound, water and P3000 wet & dry paper will speed things up, but will also get you in to trouble pretty quickly if your'e not careful.
Alternatively, one of those buffing machines (look a bit like an angle grinder), will speed things up a little.

If it's a large area like a whole wing, then you've got your work cut out.

We used to swear by 'Faracle' cutting compound, which comes in various grades. This is what the pro painters use.

It's still available, Fleabay has tons of ads.

Thanks, these areas are smaller than that so it's not too bad, I'll try the cutting compound. The only problem is he's painted on top of the good paint (n). The biggest one is probably about 40mm diameter, the rest are smaller.

I was advised to get the paint colour for my car which iv gettin a hold of & then recommended to use a cocktail stick to apply the paint to the scratches.. Would this work?

Thanks, these areas are smaller than that so it's not too bad, I'll try the cutting compound. The only problem is he's painted on top of the good paint (n). The biggest one is probably about 40mm diameter, the rest are smaller.

It's ok if he's painted over the good paint, the cutting compound will slowly remove the layer of bad paint, until you reveal the paint underneath.

Back