General Scary!

Currently reading:
General Scary!

Recently my car has been pulling to the left slightly under hard braking, making a loud noise when I brake in reverse and yesterday I noticed a rattling noise coming from the rear.

I jacked the car up last night and removed the wheel to see what was up. I noticed straight away that there was something trapped between the dust cover and brake disc. I pulled it out and noticed it was the remainder of a brake pad!

I took the caliper off and saw it was just the backing left. When I put the broken pad material next to the new pad I could see the pad was only half worn. They're probably the original pads as it's only done 38k but they're maybe six years old.

cty2.jpg

Last edited:
Errrrrrr mine makes a noise when braking in reverse!
Will have have a look, but mine doesn't pull.... Will report

I was about 50 miles from home when something strange happened to my rear brakes. The pedal movement increased and some low bangs/thuds came from the rear. Handbrake movement increased and I guessed that my multijet had lost the linings from one of the rear brake shoes. I still had brakes so I nursed the car home, leaving plenty of braking distance just in case. I took off the wrong side first, although the linings were intact they had started to come unglued. The bad side had only granules and a loose 2 inch long piece of lining left. The last time this happened to me was in 1970 when I found my front brake shoes coming unbonded back in the days when most linings were riveted on (Royal Enfield Interceptor).:(

Back