SBS 2003 & Node slow connection

Currently reading:
SBS 2003 & Node slow connection

Hi guys,

ive done a reinstall of SBS 2003 and transfered everything over (databases and shared files and so on).

Now the connection to the server is very slow, nothing has changed apart from it being a fresh install.

Loading files from the server is slow, running a program of the server which connects you to the sql database on the server is very slow.

Struggling to think what it wrong, tried everyhting i can think of.

Going to run the SBS Analyser tool Later on when i get a chance as well.

Any help appreciated

Jonathan

i hate it when users say something is 'slow' :mad:

you mention BT, are the users working remotely?

any changes been made elsewhere recently you may have overlooked? new firewalls etc? checked all the ethernet settings on the server? checked there are no DHCP conflicts (if there is a scope)?

Ry

Its locally that were having the problems.

We have SBS 03 Server with 10-15 Nodes. We then have a Cisco UC500 + Switch and a 2Wire 2700 Providing net connection.

The UC 500 does the DHCP due to the IP phones. The server has DHCP disabled and DNS Enabled.

There is a prgram on the server that we run over the network. Which is connected to an SQL Database on the server.

Normally it takes 10/20 or so seconds to load the 65 mb program of the server and onto the pc and have it open and running.

Now it takes a minute, 2 minutes or more........

Looked at the event logs and found a few errors......

Event ID: 7062

The DNS server encountered a packet addressed to itself on IP address 192.168.0.2. The packet is for the DNS name "NPIE1CBD4.gateway.2wire.net.". The packet will be discarded. This condition usually indicates a configuration error.

Check the following areas for possible self-send configuration errors:
1) Forwarders list. (DNS servers should not forward to themselves).
2) Master lists of secondary zones.
3) Notify lists of primary zones.
4) Delegations of subzones. Must not contain NS record for this DNS server unless subzone is also on this server.
5) Root hints.

Example of self-delegation:
-> This DNS server dns1.example.microsoft.com is the primary for the zone example.microsoft.com.
-> The example.microsoft.com zone contains a delegation of bar.example.microsoft.com to dns1.example.microsoft.com,
(bar.example.microsoft.com NS dns1.example.microsoft.com)
-> BUT the bar.example.microsoft.com zone is NOT on this server.

Note, you should make this delegation check (with nslookup or DNS manager) both on this DNS server and on the server(s) you delegated the subzone to. It is possible that the delegation was done correctly, but that the primary DNS for the subzone, has any incorrect NS record pointing back at this server. If this incorrect NS record is cached at this server, then the self-send could result. If found, the subzone DNS server admin should remove the offending NS record.

You can use the DNS server debug logging facility to track down the cause of this problem.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

A Copy of IPConfig/All

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : cwserver01
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : cresswall.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cresswall.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection #
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-76-B0-F7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

The 192.168.0.2 is the server and 194.72.9.38 is a BT Ip address for the www.

Its the exact same setup before i did the reinstall, i had to put it all back to how it was as we hit a brick wall so to speak. So spent ages reconfiguirng to the same as it was.....

J

The 192.168.0.2 is the server and 194.72.9.38 is a BT Ip address for the www.
Remove the external DNS server. Only use the Windows DNS server (I'm assuming this is your only Windows server?).
Each of you DNS servers will return different results, and the external one won't be any use for looking up any of the Active Directory resources.
Instead use just the Windows Active Directory DNS server(s) (if you have more than one, enter as many as you have).
Then in the configuration for the Windows DNS server set your ISP's DNS servers as forwarders. You could set the Router's DNS sever as a forwarder, but I don't like that option, as performance is usually crap.
This may not be the cause of your issues, but DNS problems usually result in lengthy delays until the DNS lookup times out.

Also why do you have IP Routing Enabled? I don't think that's normal (I'm not near a Windows system right now to check)

Last edited:
Back