Sat Nav Dash Socket Dimensions.

Currently reading:
Sat Nav Dash Socket Dimensions.

MarkMorb

Hey,
I want to 3D print a phone holder that will fit into the top dash sat nav holder, does anyone have a source for the dimensions of the socket?
Thanks,
Mark

Hey,
I want to 3D print a phone holder that will fit into the top dash sat nav holder, does anyone have a source for the dimensions of the socket?
Thanks,
Mark
You cannot just work off dimension of the slot as there are slots and channels/ridges......
I have sent out many faulty cradles as once the circuit boards get damaged they are beyond repair so people use the base and make a phone holder for the top part.....
The biggest problem with the phone holders is they did not provide any power source a trick Fiat missed albeit on later cars I now see they have placed a USB slot by the side of the dash cradle mount so no need for any dangling wires.
There have been many attempts to make one up for a phone with a power source but no one has ever come back to me showing their handywork.....
The only clever one I saw was on youtube where someone has taken a standard phone holder as expensively supplied by Fiat accessories and inserted their own phone connection and made up some terminals at the base to replicate what is on the sat nav cradles......If you could actually produce something half decent from 3d printing with an in built power source that did not look like it was squeezed out of a toothpaste tube and all rough I would say there is a reasonable market as so many ask me about such an item........the best thing as many others have done is to buy a used sat nav cradle ofted around £25 then do what we did graft onto it the top part of a cheap ebay screen suction mount holder for a phone.....
That said if you do persevere I admire individuals attempts in making prototypes so keep us informed......if I get another faulty cradle base I will be happy to send it for the cost of postage......Maybe those who have already been sent one may chip in how they got on or gave up!!!!

*bump* any news on this?
We have had lots of people contact us and sent out a few old faulty cradles with the intent to make up something from 3D printing but no one has ever come back with any success.....the only positive improvement we have seen was one person successfully added a USB connection device into the standard Fiat phone holder so was able to utilise the power connection on the car dash slot...something I feel Fiat should have provided for in the beginning IMHO given the price they charged for the phone holder.........

Back