Technical Runs rough then stalls.

Currently reading:
Technical Runs rough then stalls.

alfapop

1972 Spider. Car was running great earlier this summer. Then suddenly it started running rough, like it was fuel starved with the engine hesitating and surging, then it just stops. I've had two professional mechanics look at it and neither could figure it out. Has spark, new plugs, ignition system is new, carb was rebuilt a couple years ago, fuel pump has plenty of pressure. At one point I got it started and just held the throttle flat on the floor (no pumping) and the car ran for about 60 seconds surging, coughing, then stalling. Then call AAA. I'm at a loss. Ideas?

Funny you should ask. I just got up from a quick nap and thought to look at the plugs. Mind you they are brand new. But they are jet black. Covered in soot.

I'll check the spark for all plugs, then if no go adjust the carb. We'll see what happens. Thanks.
Actually, thinking about it, the car ran great, I went away for 3 weeks, and then this. So the carb isn't going to get out of adjustment by just sitting there. So sounds like spark. Maybe the plugs are getting spark but it's a weak spark? If so, what would cause a weak spark?

Last edited:
If coil OK, any chance water in carb?
I would say "sh*t in carb", where the joke reply is "well OK , but only if you think it will help";););)
I put in dry gas even though I had just filled up with fresh gas. Don't think it's water. I'm thinking with the sooty plugs, along with some other minor issues like a lot of oil around the engine, and the fact that the car is 50 years old and has 130,000 miles, that maybe I should pull the head and have it rebuilt. Even if that doesn't solve the problem it is probably a good idea anyway and if that doesn't help then look at problems with the carb.

I put in dry gas even though I had just filled up with fresh gas. Don't think it's water. I'm thinking with the sooty plugs, along with some other minor issues like a lot of oil around the engine, and the fact that the car is 50 years old and has 130,000 miles, that maybe I should pull the head and have it rebuilt. Even if that doesn't solve the problem it is probably a good idea anyway and if that doesn't help then look at problems with the carb.
Years ago working on twin choke Weber carbs etc. they could be susceptible to water and dirt in the idling and emulsifier jets.
Though to be able to hold throttle on floor spluttering it would have to be pretty contaminated.
Personally I would check externally before a rebuild as you could still have the same issue afterwards.
I would run tests before condemning anything major so if stripped down I would know what direction to concentrate on.
You mention new ignition etc. was that new HT leads , distributor cap, rotor arm, contact points, condensor etc. or has yours been converted to electronic, though even that can fail.

All new. Not converted electronic but replaced everything in the original system. I think this is over my head. Taking it to a professional is the logical thing for me. I was just trying to avoid it as there are no Fiat mechanics within several hundred miles. So 3.5 hours driving each way while towing a trailer but I'll give everything I can do the once over again and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

All new. Not converted electronic but replaced everything in the original system. I think this is over my head. Taking it to a professional is the logical thing for me. I was just trying to avoid it as there are no Fiat mechanics within several hundred miles. So 3.5 hours driving each way while towing a trailer but I'll give everything I can do the once over again and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help.
Doesn't always have to be a Fiat mechanic, just a good "old school trained mechanic" that you can trust, I started my apprenticeship in 1969 , it wasn't a Dealer, so every different make of vehicle that came in we worked on, from an Alvis to a farm muck spreader. Trouble is we are all dying out ;).

I agree. My favorite mechanics are the guys who just think things through and figure them out. But that's why I have to drive 3.5 hours. Close to home all we have are chain places that don't know what to do if there isn't a place to plug in the computer. I live in Maine. Gorgeous place to live but it has its drawbacks. Lots of Volve guys like that around. But know Fiat/Alfa guys around.

Back