WP_20140830_001.jpg

Panda (Classic) Roofus

Introduction

OK so my new arrival has now been christened Roofus by the family so I thought he'd better get his own Members motors thread since I've done some stuff today.
So, for the sake of the new thread here's the story so far......
Once upon a time, at a show long ago (well, last year) a mysterious Panda showed up and joined our special line up by the toilets. So obviously I decided to do hot dogs in front of it:cool:

It was owned by a nice couple who had originally owned it new, then bought it back a year or so before this pic was taken when they spotted it looking sorry for itself on ebay, and spent a lot of time and money putting it straight. Looked good then and a year or so later I saw it again at another Thoresby show and by now they were considering selling it again. I had a look around it then and was impressed by the condition but I really wasn't looking for another car then.
Fas t forward another few months and it still wasn't sold, and I was looking:D

that was only going to end one way...

So: as I got it Really good nick: Shiny shiny exterior:cool:

Brand new wider steel wheels and tyres which I love!

Brand new twin sunnies just fitted:

Sadly slightly tired colour edition switchgear

Interior mostly good except for a chunk out of the bottom of the steering column shroud, rather weedy stereo and tatty gear gaiter and knob due to use of a big lock on them

So since I am not a big fan of the grey interior plastics anyway a better condition set of black stuff went in:

And clear indicators went on:

And that was it for the first week or so.

Next issue found was rust related, just a wee one to get me started:

So cut away the crusty bits to give me a neater hole to fill:

Look away now if you're squeamish.. repair section fabricated from an old Panda door I had around:

Cranked up the welder (I know but it's my first welded repair:eek:) As you can see I had the welder behind the door so I was reaching underneath to knock the power on. Blasted quite a few holes before I realised I'd flipped it onto a higher power setting at the same time, Doh! Think I managed to get enough metal to metal anyway.

Quick skim of filler and a coat of my own custom mix Hammerite:

That's it so far. Alternating daily driver duties with Grumbleweed at the moment anyway so at least he's getting used. Never actually used the sunroof in anger yet though.
Definitely looks lower at the rear than Char, she sits higher at the rear than the front unless you have 2 rear passengers or a heavy boot full... I'd like to get her a bit more leveled out but no idea how without cutting springs
scratchchin.gif
idea.gif
Subwoofer in the boot
devil.gif
..and a full tank of fuel helps.
The Pi springs on Grumbleweed sit lower at the back too actually.

Last edited:
Just randomly looking through this thread and I thought that registration number looks familiar:confused: Turns out it is only two out from panda panda's Colour!

Hopefully they can be reunited at a show next year:slayer:

Well spotted Freddy!

Such a long time since I've seen the number plates on the car I'd forgotten it completely.

Did you sort the running issues Andrew?

Oooh, spooky. Just looking there it looks like those are the original dealer plates too, mine are the same. No, rough running still not entirely resolved. The n/s front brake is a bit seized I've discovered which probably isn't helping the general lethargy any. Any work on the cars has been somewhat curtailed due to the bonnet replacement on Grumbleweed so I've had my garage out of commission because I couldn't get past the other bonnet in the middle of the floor. Cleared out the shed the other day to accomodate it though so I might actually be able to do stuff again now.

Last edited:
It took me three attempts to find my battery charger today, garages are a mixed blessing.

I was considering a shed but clearing out the crap from the garage is a cheaper alternative.

If you want to try some bits off Fizzle to try sort out the running issues you'd be most welcome to them.

Are you going to the Malton Big breakfast this year?

Thanks but I've got a complete set of bits up to and including a whole spare engine in the garage, just haven't hit on the right one yet. Had looked at Malton but as usual it depends if I've got one I actually want to do the run down in. Ask me again the night before;) Only a couple of weeks away isn't it?

Is that colour the same Turquiose that was on the slightly earlier cars, or is it a newer slightly greener metallic? Can't tell with these digital cameras, coulurs can change...

I had a K-reg 1992 1000 CLX in the nice turquoise colour, but I seem to remember from a later catalogue I had that the last UK models (around M-plate) had different colours, along with roofbars and plastic side mouldings etc.

Is that colour the same Turquiose that was on the slightly earlier cars, or is it a newer slightly greener metallic? Can't tell with these digital cameras, coulurs can change...

I had a K-reg 1992 1000 CLX in the nice turquoise colour, but I seem to remember from a later catalogue I had that the last UK models (around M-plate) had different colours, along with roofbars and plastic side mouldings etc.

It's a flat colour rather than a metallic, just been a 'colour' colour I think. Fiat says it's 'verde' (green) rather than 'turchese' which I think was also a panda colour..
Any help:confused:

Mind you I'm collecting Gertie the day before and probably won't get back home until midnight so an early start is pushing it a bit ;o

You're collecting Gertie?! I'll have to arrange a trip to Vern's to get one last look, can't deny every time I've been for the past year or so (which is embarrassingly quite a few times) I've had a good look :eek: (y)

Thanks for the colour info, so it's not my eyes or your camera!

That Turchese was a lovely colour, I've got an old-school photo in an old-school photo album somewhere with a picture of my car with MIM alloys, bonnet scoop and silver coachlines. Hopefully I'll dig it out, scan it and post it some time soon.

You're collecting Gertie?! I'll have to arrange a trip to Vern's to get one last look, can't deny every time I've been for the past year or so (which is embarrassingly quite a few times) I've had a good look :eek: (y)

Tickets booked for Saturday 10th October!

Taxed her tonight, I've owned her for over 2 years and still not driven her or heard her running!

I really hope she's worth the wait, I turned down the chance for a cheap 16v 1.2 car in the hope that the GTie is quick(ish)!

Sorry for gibbering on on your thread Andrew :eek:

MOT day today, and in traditional style I was on the drive in the dark until midnight going through the snagging list. Hope I remembered to put everything back properly;) Thought it was time to swap these off finally:

With the aid of an angle grinder for the bolt that was seized in one (did that bit at a sociable hour) and spent a while getting a fresh handbrake cable on and adjusting everything up, handbrake actually seems to work now.
See how he goes.

Nice one!!!

Always feels bit more 'fresh' with full ticket.

btw. any chance you got spare rear coil upper metal ring as I need it for my MOT time.

Back