Technical Roof Bars

Currently reading:
Technical Roof Bars

So it turns out i won't be able to get my roof bars on in time for Panday :mad:

Can someone tell me whether these roof bars will fit an '88 4x4? I've offererd them up with the captive nut assumbly and i just can't see how it fits on, i'm beginning to think that these bars are only to fit later models??:bang:

roofbar_zps229c6edc.jpg

roofbar2_zps6208816b.jpg

I would guess that somehow the nut assembly would be inserted through the roof holes? I read that you have to make holes in the roof :eek:

I'm sure @ VmanC knows the method to do this. [other panda experts are available] :rolleyes:

Bagsy them if they won't fit though :p

Yeh thats what i thought but that bracket just doesn't go in that slot!

I knew about making the holes in the roof but it seems like i might have to make the slot bigger to get the bracket in.

I would guess that somehow the nut assembly would be inserted through the roof holes? I read that you have to make holes in the roof :eek:

I'm sure @ VmanC knows the method to do this. [other panda experts are available] :rolleyes:

Bagsy them if they won't fit though :p

Yep, the captive nut assemblies (4) fit inside the box section with the slotted holes. I've never had to get them in or out of there though so can't help with a method. If you really can't jiggle them through one of the slotted holes you may have to resort to enlarging one. As far as I can remember the later Pandas look the same as yours.

Yep, the captive nut assemblies (4) fit inside the box section with the slotted holes. I've never had to get them in or out of there though so can't help with a method. If you really can't jiggle them through one of the slotted holes you may have to resort to enlarging one. As far as I can remember the later Pandas look the same as yours.

'jiggle them through'?

Bring them to Panday and we can all have a 'jiggle', might be a err giggle :D

So holes are cut in the roof for these to go on?

I have them on my car and want rid

So holes are cut in the roof for these to go on?

I have them on my car and want rid

You want rid, what an earth for! There will be plenty of takers thats for sure.

Yes there will be 4 holes in the roof, i drilled 6.5mm i think, and then i made the slots bigger with an angle grinder to get the brackets in, i wouldn't have thought you need to do this to get them out though.

I'm beginning to think it may be easier to source some non panda bars and adapt them to fit.

On the MK3 the 4 plugged holes annoyed me so much I bought a set of bars, now I need some for the MK2 to match.

I like to treat the twins equally well :)

I'm beginning to think it may be easier to source some non panda bars and adapt them to fit.

On the MK3 the 4 plugged holes annoyed me so much I bought a set of bars, now I need some for the MK2 to match.

I like to treat the twins equally well :)

Chain them together to stop them getting stolen :p

Hi, I have the original rails but I don´t have the captive nuts, anyone knows where to buy them? Or another soluction for my problem? thanks!

Hi, I have the original rails but I don´t have the captive nuts, anyone knows where to buy them? Or another soluction for my problem? thanks!

I just used nuts and bolts with washers when I bought a set without the captive nuts.

I taped a socket to an allen key to hold the nut inside the slotted part of the roof whilst I fed through and tightened the bolts. Nearly two years later they are still on and solid.

If you are planning on using the rails for carrying stuff I would make a plate to strengthen the roof though.

The trickiest bit was marking out the drill holes and making holes in the roof, the rubber washers that fit under the bars keep everything water tight.

Back