Technical Rising Oil Level

Currently reading:
Technical Rising Oil Level

It seems that you really have a lot of time to waste..
If somebody else can help, please..

I would check your high pressure fuel pump if you remove it and check the 3 torx screws on the back Ive seen it before where these come slightly loose the pump then comes apart slightly runs fine still but leaks diesel into the engine , I had this on a 1.3mjet Doblo

I would check your high pressure fuel pump if you remove it and check the 3 torx screws on the back Ive seen it before where these come slightly loose the pump then comes apart slightly runs fine still but leaks diesel into the engine , I had this on a 1.3mjet Doblo

I bought a repair kit for the high pressure pump, so that was changed..
But what puzzles me is that the oil level doesn't rise constantly..the rising stops when it gets ~1cm above the max level.. So if there was a leak, i thing the rise should be constant..

Don't know about the cases mentioned here but oil dilution with diesel, and thus oil level increase, on cars fitted with DPF filters will only happen on a subset of vehicles.

To clarify the major causes of problems releated to the DPF regeneration process.

1) DPF filters getting clogged. This is due to two major factors. (i) the car does not do enough miles at higher rpm to get the engine thoroughly warmed and stready higher rpms values to initiate a regeneration cycle (ii) when the oil is changed the person/garage who did the oil change fails to reset the oil change counter. This results in the engine ECU thinking the oil is still old and not of sufficent quality to protect the engine during a regeneration process. Thus a regen is not initiated to save the engine BUT the DPF will clog, sometimes beyond recovery.

2) Oil Dilution - this happens because the car engine is being constantly turned off during a regeneration. When this happens the cyclinders bores are left super rich with unburnt fuel and drains past the piston rings into the sump. Because the regen was incomplete the car will then do a regeneration cycle again, and again, and again only to be cut off mid cycle each time. Imagine the longer school runs with a bit of dual carriageway, motorway etc. Just before school is reached the regen starts never to complete. Regen may be attmepted on the way home, or certainly the next day, for 5 days a week, week after week. Similar scenario when going to work.

Now clearly every car does not have the same drive cylce which is why I said oil dilution only happens on a subset of cars, i.e. cars that are regulary driven into the start of a regeneration cycle and then turned off.

So the solution to oil dilution is to not allow these constantly interrupted drive cycles by varying the journey lenght OR allow the regeneration to complete by letting the engine run till the cycle is complete.

I can tell when my Croma is doing a DPF regen and sometimes I arrive home or at the supermarket whilst it is in process. If arriving home I just turn around an go for a short drive. If arriving at a supermarket I'll park up and let the engine run till the cycle is complete, normally lifting the revs to over 1500rpm.

Thank you all for your feedback! But keep in mind that car doesn't have a dpf anymore..so no regen..and the oil keeps rising to an exact level.

Thank you all for your feedback! But keep in mind that car doesn't have a dpf anymore..so no regen..and the oil keeps rising to an exact level.

Removing the DPF itself won't stop the regeneration process so I assume that you have also had the ECU software modified to prevent this happening. It does seem strange that the level is still rising so I would suggest having an oil sample analysed and if it does have a high proportion of diesel fuel in it then maybe you are looking at an overfuelling problem.

I assume that you no longer receive any messages on the display to say that the oil needs changing (can't remember the exact wording).

Yes, I had the ecu software modified as well, and now on the ecu-scan it shows that my last regeneration has happened 2700km ago (when I removed the dpf). So no regeneration has started since.. The message: change oil no longer appears on the display, so that is weird too, because I thing for that warning there is some kind of oil fluidity sensor.. I will change my oil once more, next week and see what happens..

Yes, I had the ecu software modified as well, and now on the ecu-scan it shows that my last regeneration has happened 2700km ago (when I removed the dpf). So no regeneration has started since.. The message: change oil no longer appears on the display, so that is weird too, because I thing for that warning there is some kind of oil fluidity sensor.. I will change my oil once more, next week and see what happens..

Don't worry about not getting the message as this is warning is calculated by a software algorithm based on the number of regenerations that have been made amongst other things. Not getting the message is good news as it shows that the software is working correctly, there is no physical sensor that monitors the oil quality.

However, it is still a worry as to why the oil level is rising. :confused:

Back