Right, now i'm confused...

Currently reading:
Right, now i'm confused...

kiscix

Just to make a quick change to the usual 'im 17 and it costs £2000 to insure my car' threads :)

I'm 25 and have a full no claims bonus (never once had a claim) as well as clean license and pass plus.

I was previously driving a big Alfa 156 and lived in Cambridge, where I was paying circa £700 for insurance. Fast forward a year or so, change of circumstances means I now have (a) an additional years no claims, (b) live in Southampton and (c) own a 1.2 base model Fiat Punto 5 door. Nothing sporty, nothing exotic.

Best insurance quotes I've found?

Yep, about £700.

Seriously, what gives? Seems like daylight robbery to me... Any tips for getting this down?

Just to make a quick change to the usual 'im 17 and it costs £2000 to insure my car' threads :)

I'm 25 and have a full no claims bonus (never once had a claim) as well as clean license and pass plus.

I was previously driving a big Alfa 156 and lived in Cambridge, where I was paying circa £700 for insurance. Fast forward a year or so, change of circumstances means I now have (a) an additional years no claims, (b) live in Southampton and (c) own a 1.2 base model Fiat Punto 5 door. Nothing sporty, nothing exotic.

Best insurance quotes I've found?

Yep, about £700.

Seriously, what gives? Seems like daylight robbery to me... Any tips for getting this down?

Phone every company theres is! Also try the forum insurance traders offers!

Dom

... Seriously, what gives? ...

Simply your gains have been wiped-out by increased costs – such that they cancel each other out.

It’s argued (I believe) that the average cost of car ins. has increased by some 33% (& more within the 18-25yo envelope) over the past 12m.

To calculate a reasonably accurate personal view – you’d need to compare like-with-like. What would the re-newal cost be for the Alfa 156 in Cambridge today? … or the ins. cost for the 1.2 Punto a year ago in So`ton?

Update 2011/01/26 12:16
My insurance falls due late Feb 2011 - & although I’ve yet to receive my re-newal notice, my Ins Co have advised over the `phone this morning that their rates have climbed by 30(±15)% from Feb 2010. Then presumably if one is within the 17-25yo envelope with other `negative waves’ remaining equal, then your looking at a +45% increase.

Well taking on some of your comments I've started doing some digging.

Postcode risk has indeed gone from A to C apparently.

Car insurance group (new style ones as per Parkers) has gone from 31 to 12.

I've run quotes on direct line (cheapest I've found) for March 1st - at which point I'll have 8 years no claims, for equivalencies sake:

Car #1 (Old car): 2004 Alfa Romeo 2.5 V6 Veloce
Cambridge quote: £621.06
Southampton quote: £1,228.90

Car #2 (current): 2000 Fiat Punto ELX 5dr
Cambridge quote: £438.52
Southampton quote: £704.64

Funnily enough, quoting for my OH who has 0 no claims instead of me barely makes any difference to the quotes - so basically it would seem gender/how 'clean' a driver you are have virtually no impact on quotes, whereas area does.

Pretty disgusted tbh but I guess thats life. Will just add it to the increasingly long list of reasons as to why this country sucks.

Last edited:
Back