Technical Revving problem

Currently reading:
Technical Revving problem

PalioEl

Hallo all,

I have a Palio El 1.6 and it randomly starts revving from idle. When I stop somewhere it will idle fine at 800rpm and then suddenly jump up to 2000rpm. I have had it at Fiat and they replaced the Throttle body 3 times, but the problem is still there.

Ever since it came back from its 20000km service this started. Since then it has been back to the dealers 3 times and has had 3 throttle bodys replaced. Please can sombody help me solve this. Some people say it is the ECU or lambda sensor or other sensors. I am quite technical so would be able to find a connector and check it if someone can maybe tell me where to start or where the connectors are, so that i can clean them or replace them.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Had this same problem since new and WILLIAM SIMPSON keep telling me there is nothing wrong and the car runs to spec. Mine does not idle consistently at all and will at times jump up and down to higher revs, especially after a highway section. Its now going on 1.5yrs and I still have not got to the bottom of it. William Simpson are now telling me its 'in my head' and nothing to do with the car. Well my 11yr old landrover idles better than this thing.

No answers, but if I get to the bottom of it I will be sure to post a thread!

Good luck:bang:

I had exactly the same problem with my Palio 1.4 EL which had quite the same 8v engine as Uno 70 SX's. That was cused by the removal of the box of the air filter. But if yours is the 16 v 1.6 l engine, i don't know.

Hi,

I had the same problem (consistently) with my 2004 Palio 1.6, until two months ago:) (I am almost 100% sure that they did NOT replace the throttle body, unless you took the part/serial number before they did!!!). The source of the problem is the breather pipe from the engine chamber (connected from the dipstick assembly) that connects to the air intake pipe just before the throttle body. The air introduced into the air induction from the breather pipe is not 100% clean and normally a bit smokey and oily. Eventually, this oily and smokey air clogs up the sensors on the actuarators in the throttle body.

Here is how I fixed the problem without spending any money on mechanics:
1. Remove everything up to and including the throttle body and clean thouroughly. I used plenty carb cleaner to remove the gunk.
2. Pay particular attention when cleaning the throttle body. You will notice on the inside edge of the throttle body, there is a small pen-like piston that moves in and out to regulate the air inflow on top-side of the throttle body. I almost used a full can of carb cleaner there to make sure all the gunk is removed and the actuator actually moves.
3. Be careful not to scrape or scratch the parts where the butterfly meets the throttle body when cleaning or leave any cloth or similar stuff that might have hooked during the cleaning process. This will affect your car's performance drastically.
4. Fit and assemble all the parts as originally removed. By all parts, I mean that if you are done, you should have NO spares lying around.:D

The above should resolve the erratic idling problem over the short-term, but not address the source of the problem. Here is how to fix the problem very easy and cost effectively:
1. Buy a btreather filter from any parts dealer. I bought mine from Autostyle SA at R60 (see pic below)
a45f763f22a718cc6b30_large.jpg

2. Cut the pipe leading from engine to air intake pipe and attach the breather filter to the pipe leading to the engine to make sure no foreign objects ends up in the motor.
3. Plug the hole in the air intake pipe with any appropriate object to make sure no foreign objects get into the air induction system..
4. Start the car and enjoy. The air intake will remain unchanged, since the "lost" air from the breather pipe is now replaced by more air from the air filter's side.

The above procedure will ensure that there is no oily and smokey air going through the car's air intake system and the added bonus is that only cold air is introduced to the air induction, improving the air intake to the cars engine.

There is no noticable difference in performance, but since the procedure the car tends to respond a bit quicker and accelerate a bit smoother. As this was not designed to improve performance, this was not an issue for me.

I'll post picture of the post-op later.

Back