Technical Retrofitting split/fold rear seats

Currently reading:
Technical Retrofitting split/fold rear seats

Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of changing the rear seats at all, or whether this is a complete no-go?

We have a Pop with the standard "bench seat" in the back, and of course if you go on the configurator you can upgrade to a 50/50 split/fold rear seat for £155.

The only reason for asking is that we have a baby on the way in November, and as my wife suffers from hypermobile joint syndrome we are looking to see if there are any additions which will help us with the 500 in terms of practicality.

I am guessing that any retro-fitted seat would also need to take into account stuff like the labour cost to remove/refit the seats, and that the cost might well be extortionate, but any feedback is welcome!:)

Last edited:
I am guessing that any retro-fitted seat would also need to take into account stuff like the labour cost to remove/refit the seats, and that the cost might well be extortionate, but any feedback is welcome!:)

I wouldn't have thought labour would be a problem - I'd have thought it'd be a simple matter to unbolt the old seat & drop in the new ones. Taking the rear seats out of my old KA took all of 5 mins.

But something tells me FIAT will want an absolutely insane price for a seat purchased retrospectively. Breakers might not be able to help much as there'll likely be precious few split rear seats out there with pop upholstery in the colour you need, but if you do get lucky, that route could cost less than you think.

Have a look on ebay there are always people breaking 500's. I bet you can pick a set up quite cheap

Thanks for the replies so far.

Had a quick look on ebay and there wasn't anything of note today, but that's not to say I won't find any!:D

I also had a quick look at some of these nationwide car breaker websites (where you pop in your details and searches are made for what you're looking for). Are any of those recommended at all, or are we looking at a spamalot situation?

Note: by the way we have got the dark grey upholstery with black ambience, although not sure if that's particularly popular anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Had a quick look on ebay and there wasn't anything of note today, but that's not to say I won't find any!:D

I also had a quick look at some of these nationwide car breaker websites (where you pop in your details and searches are made for what you're looking for). Are any of those recommended at all, or are we looking at a spamalot situation?

Note: by the way we have got the dark grey upholstery with black ambience, although not sure if that's particularly popular anyway.

I bought a whole new interior plus door cards in a Golf diesel many moons ago - around £300 and it was worth every penny.

If you are looking for Splits in Black ambiance grey material in a Pop - the likelihood of getting that is pretty remote. In Ireland (I wouldn't comment on the UK) Pop drivers rarely order splits seats.

You would have a better chance of getting splits on the Lounge.
There's a set on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-FIAT-500...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb5468f62

You could put a seat cover similiar to the material of the Pop and with all the baby stuff you would hardly notice it.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I bought a whole new interior plus door cards in a Golf diesel many moons ago - around £300 and it was worth every penny.

If you are looking for Splits in Black ambiance grey material in a Pop - the likelihood of getting that is pretty remote. In Ireland (I wouldn't comment on the UK) Pop drivers rarely order splits seats.

You would have a better chance of getting splits on the Lounge.
There's a set on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-FIAT-500-SPLIT-REAR-SEATS-/200609795938?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb5468f62

You could put a seat cover similiar to the material of the Pop and with all the baby stuff you would hardly notice it.
Whilst your generalisations can sometimes have me pulling my hair out :p, I suspect you're right here and a pop split fold seat won't be common. Lounge is a good bet, but I reckon most cars being wrecked will have the seat airbags deployed.....

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Whilst your generalisations can sometimes have me pulling my hair out :p, I suspect you're right here and a pop split fold seat won't be common. Lounge is a good bet, but I reckon most cars being wrecked will have the seat airbags deployed.....

There was a full half leather seat in black ambiance from a Lounge 500c but they were looking for £425 :eek: and looked grubby. There would be no point in changing the whole interior for a set of splits !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-500-HALF-LEATHER-INTERIOR-SEATS-2009-/280696822434?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415ad59aa2

Not too keen on seat covers but Super Uwe could get lucky with some people 'downgrading' on the Lounge from the houndstooth to the Pop interior (which would have the splits).

I had forgotten about the seats from a crashed car having deployed front seat air bags.(y)

Thanks again for all of your comments here; it has given me plenty of food for thought.

Ultimately any of these seats will only need to last for a year or so when our PCP runs out, so the colour of the upholstery doesn't matter too much (it would just look a bit weird I guess). And of course we'd still have the originals to go back in later on.

Ta!

I've looked at Mrs _u's 1.2 Panda with a view to fitting split rear seats - comparing it with my 100HP, which has them - and the only thing that appears to be a requirement - not sure it's a problem - is a bracket in the front of the spare wheel well. It supports the two separate in-board hinges for the separate seat squabs but a cursory look didn't find it on the 1.2. Not sure if it bolts in or is welded.

I've removed and installed my rear split folds tons of times. It's almost comically easy. Fold them down, undo the allen bolt in the middle. Lift the flap up. Then undo the 2 bolts at each side, down low on the splitfold hinge. Remove as one unit.

I will say this though, there is a small plastic dowel that holds the two split folds together at the bottom in the middle. If you remove this, check that you don't lose either of the bushes on it. Very easy to lose and the resulting squeak on installation will drive you mental.

On that note, I would recommend that when you install the split fold seat, do up the bolts but don't tighten them all the way. Take the car for a spirited driver, ideally over some bumps. This lets the seat "settle". Then tighten the bolts completely. After much experimentation I've discovered this eliminates most of the rattles you encounter when messing with it.

Back