Technical Retrofit speed limiter and/or hill descent control (2013)

Currently reading:
Technical Retrofit speed limiter and/or hill descent control (2013)

FiatPete2

Is it possible to retrofit either the Fiat speed limiter (on the cruise stalk) or hill descent control to a 2013 model Ducato? I hired a 2017 model ducato-based motorhome and it had both of these, which our 2103 model Ducato-based motorhome is lacking. I wonder whether if I fit the controls (assuming for the hill descent that the wiring is pre-fitted but unused).

I think speed limiter is more likely to be an option - it obviously depends whether the software includes that option and is enabled but just needs a different stalk with both the cruise control and speed limiter positions. Hill descent would also need equipment to control the brakes, but that might already be part of the stability control system.

I realise that there are third party options to add a speed limiter.

Ducatos x250 had as an option only cruise-control. Speed limiter option was introduced only in x290. Probably hill descent was paired with the second system.

It is possible to retrofit the factory cruise-control lever (and system). But, depending on the amount of your good or bad luck caused by an unknown will of the Italian worker who assembled the cab or other unknown circumstances, you will also have to add some wires. Shorter ones or longer ones. Of course, based on the same, there is also a possibility that you have all the wiring necessary :D

And that also differs from the EURO norm your van is. Newer ones (EURO5) needed also an activation in MES.

And that also differs from the EURO norm your van is. Newer ones (EURO5) needed also an activation in MES.
Hello @the green vanper can you help me finding the parameters i need to change to activate the cruise control and speed limiter? My Ducato is a 2015 EURO5 and it's prewired(3 wires), I've got the 3 pin lever, enabled cruise control and speed limiter but somthing is still missing.
I'm using AlfaOBD Android app with OBDlink LX.
Thank you!

Nice video even though I don't understand a word 😅
But my van is a X290 and this is the lever:
s-l1600.png

I'll look into MES.

The steps in MES are the same for x250 and x290.

Late x250s and early x290 are electrically the same :) Only a few things have changed.
Thank you so much for the help!

I'm waiting for a wired ELM 327 interface to arrive.
Hopefully I'll make it work with that and with MES, at the end of the day I think 50€ are well worth it in the long run.

Back