Technical Retro fitting heated seat pads

Currently reading:
Technical Retro fitting heated seat pads

Stilo_ste

As the car seems to be behaving and has not gone bang recently, I have started to feel more positive about it.

Even to the point of maybe even doing something really out of season like fitting heated seat devices.

Has anyone done this before? I did it to a car I used to have and it is really great, esp in cold weather. So good I did it to all the seats.

Where does the OE switch fit, and are they multi heat level or just on / off?

If I do it i may write a 'How to'

Any help appreciated

there just a on/off system. the control pannel is on the side of the seat its self closest to the door.

i see it being a lot of work fitting oe switches as the side of the normal seats is different to the electric seats.

i have an easier way for you to do it by the set of leather 1's i have c clasifieds

Hey Stilo_ste

Glad to see you're happier with the car; did you get the coilpacks and airbags sorted? Did FIAT respond to your letter?

As for seat heating, you'll need the following parts:
Seat heating pads:
- Base: £62 per side
- Backrest: £44 per side
Switch: £30 per side
Wiring loom: £26 per side
New cover with hole for switch: £10 each side

So total cost of that would be around £350 for parts only. Let us know if you go ahead!

They are just on/off, and are fused independently, so you'd have to run a positive feed under the carpets as I doubt they'll already be there.

Oh, and I've moved this to the "Technical" section too for better results (y)

Choke....

That seems very expensive. I will have to think of a cheaper way....

Don't think they are worth that kind of price, but thanks for the info.

Fiat have indeed responded to my complaint. Unfortunately, it was last week and I was in the US at the time so didn't get to talk to them. I really need to return their call, just been too busy.

do you know if it is actually possible to fit elec heated seats to a car with just manual adjustment. I have been offered a set of elec leather seats but im not sure what would be involved

is it just 4 bolts for the seat and a connector plug for the airbag under the seat? is the actual elec movement incorperated into the seat unit?

I think you'll find heated (and electrically adjustable) seats are seen as a node by the body computer which means it's going to be a nightmare to get them to work as the BC will reject them if not part of original spec.

you could always buy a heated seat overlay (kind of like a seat protector) this would plug into the lighter socket (some come with massage feature as well.. though i don't think i've seen any that massage the lower section.. bugger :( ) oh less than £100

what about if you had cloth elec heated seats and you swapped them for leather elec heated seats? would that cause a problem?

is it just 4 bolts for the seat and a connector plug for the airbag under the seat? is the actual elec movement incorperated into the seat unit?

Yes, it is just 4 bolts. The seat is self contained with a motors / mechanism inside it. You do however need the electrics working to be able to put them in as you need to run the seat forward to do the rear bolts, and run it back to get at the front bolts.

Wiring is another matter though. It is on the CAN bus because you cant move seat to a preset position while car is moving and when setting a preset position, the dash beeper beeps.
Also low battery voltage or other faults causes the seat to move right forward and stay there till the fault is cleared. -not easy to drive like that.

Personally I hate them. Manual adjusters are so much easier and quicker to adjust.

Back