Technical Replacing NS front indicator lens on 91 Uno?

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing NS front indicator lens on 91 Uno?

pinkpunto

Had an incident with a truck - lens now smashed. Breaker has one, still on the car.

Looks as though I've got to undo three bolts behind the headlanp that attach the headlamp unit to the car, and the indicator will come out with it.

Correct?

Cheers

Re: Replacing NS front indicator lens on Mk2 Uno

Hi All,

I have a pair of clear corner indicators to replace my orange ones :yuck: . I got them Off Spam0r with many other bits and bobs.

He reckons it’s much easier if you remove the grill first :confused:

Looking at the ones I got off him, each has a peg snapped off the back :bang: – take care! ;) I’m waiting till I have my Turbo Bumper sprayed so I can fit them at the same time LOL.

Regards All,

Went to the breaker at lunchtime - it's three bolts to undo on the rear - one next to the rad, two on the outside, in the corner, so use a ratchet and socket.

Pull the rad grille forward by gripping the bottom - it's screwed at top, but push fit on the base, so slips fwd enough to allow the whole unit to slide out. undo the two cable connectors for head and indicator.

Hold the headlamp in one hand, and release the push catch between the indicator and the headlamp unit, and slide it out.

Whole job took me 10 minutes, excluding the drive to the breakers, of course!

He's got an M reg 3 door 1.0 ie start with perfect interior, seats, inc parcel shelf. Doors looked OK I think, as did fascia etc. It's missing an indicator lens, though ... he's just off the Oxford-Reading road.

front indicator lens off Mk2 Uno?

Hi All,

Thanks Uno_94,

If you take the grill off, you get room to slip the headlamps inwards, giving room to slid out the indicators is what he told me - Sorry too early this morning lol.

Regards All,

I did it twice in 10 minutes, and I can assure you that it's very easy to slip the combined headlamp/indicator set out frontwards, past the grille, which you've pulled forwards to give the space, and then separate them.

Honest - it was a piece of p!ss - and I've 4 thumbs and a big toe on each hand, really...

Steve C said:
I have one I can send you if you would like to make a small offer for it. :)

Steve

Great product, but you've sent me the OS one - it's also clear, while the pair on are amber. I did email you, but havn't heard back, so could you get in touch, please, via email, and we can sort it out. Prob easiest if you have/can send the NS one, (I'll pay you for it...) and then I'll have a nice pair ...

Ta

Simon

Re: Replacing front indicators on 93 Uno

Hi All,

6957Amber.jpg

At last:) Nearly there…
6957Off.jpg

I gave her a good clean behind the eyes and grill. I’m just getting water out of the new OS indicator :(
6957floor.jpg

There are NO bolts to the indicator lenses on a MkII Uno. Those are the lenses that you "blink" with when you do elft or right, correct? I repeat - do NOT remove headlights to remove these indicator lenses !!! This will only damage light positions. The side repeater is just "clipped" on the headlight. Praise a screwdriver in between and pull the lens out. Disconnect the power plug from within the engine bay first.

Morten.

Quite a number of '90s cars have this arrangement (e.g. the Tipo, and a BMW 318 that I worked on recently) where the indicator lense/reflector is sealed together, and slides onto the headlight casing with a long clip-finger to hold it in place.

I agree with Morten in that usually you just poke around with a long screwdriver until you find that clip-finger, pry it back, and slide the indicator out without disturbing the headlight alignment.

Louie - compressed air works wonders when it comes to drying out washed parts! I think you can get an air compressor now for less than 50 quid? They're all the rage over here in hardware stores!

-Alex

Morty Mort said:
The side repeater is just "clipped" on the headlight. Praise a screwdriver in between and pull the lens out. Disconnect the power plug from within the engine bay first.

Morten.
I agree with you Morten! I would suggest slipping a butter knife between headlamp and repeater in line with the top of the grill's middle bar (if you still have one LOL).

The upper one is as I got it second hand – or at least when I unpacked the car at home :confused: the clip is broken, perhaps eager with screw driver. I found another one on the scrap yard in good shape :)
6957Brake.jpg

:confused: I’m not sure the three retaining bolts have much to do with the headlamp alignment. As long as I’m gentle and replace them exactly as removed, they should keep the alignment settings (I Hope).

:D I took todays opportunity wash the front end of my car, inspect for rust, and parch up chipped paint – not to bad but a stitch in time…

LOL I even brushed a few dead files from between the radiator grills.

(y) Cheers for the tip Alex – I think I had low humidity on my side today. I will be fitting tomorrow ;) all clean.

Back