Styling Replacing front fogs with DRLs; feasible or idiotic?

Currently reading:
Styling Replacing front fogs with DRLs; feasible or idiotic?

As my front fogs have seen maybe around a miles worth of use in the 3500+ my car has done, I thought maybe I could make them be a little mode useful. I drive with sidelights on most of the time, and wondered would it be possible to replace the front fogs with a strip of DRLs wired into the same place? That way it'd already be wired up and the front fog button would control the DRLs. Also think that if I got Abarth lights too it'd look rather sweet. And it's not like LEDs use much power at all. Thinking like so:

drl.jpg

Question 1: Would it be easy to do? It's been a long time since I've done any electronics and I'm not sure about the power, as the DRLs would need much less than the fogs

Question 2: What's the legality of this? It's not affecting headlights or sidelights, and it's perfectly legal to not have fogs, so I'm not sure.

Question 3: Would this be completely stupid? :eek:

Thoughts would be great. Cheers guys!

I saw somthing on Team BHP once where someone replaced his foglights with then brought round ones and just replaced the "torch" part of the light looked pretty good. simular to the new skoda fabia vrs. if i can find the link i'll post it

(if thats ok with the mods Andy Monty dont know if i can link to another forum or not???)

Jordan.

Question 1: Would it be easy to do? It's been a long time since I've done any electronics and I'm not sure about the power, as the DRLs would need much less than the fogs

Yes they spur into the ignition circuit and activate when car is turned on they also need a spur into the side lights so they extinguish when normal lights are turned on... best way imo would be to take your live from the red fag lighter wire the side light switch from the yellow fag lighter wire and you might as well ground it there too.. I'd pull some standard 3 core 0.75mm2 domestic appliance cable through to your lights from there to keep it looking neat

Question 2: What's the legality of this? It's not affecting headlights or sidelights, and it's perfectly legal to not have fogs, so I'm not sure.

Must switch off with headlights or front fog light must be within 40cm of the outermost edge of the car much easier to go to the side lights imo otherwise you will need to hack into the headlights and fog lamps

Question 3: Would this be completely stupid? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BRvJkgfLLpw

Thoughts would be great. Cheers guys!

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

I saw somthing on Team BHP once where someone replaced his foglights with then brought round ones and just replaced the "torch" part of the light looked pretty good. simular to the new skoda fabia vrs. if i can find the link i'll post it

(if thats ok with the mods Andy Monty dont know if i can link to another forum or not???)

Jordan.

fine by me (y)

Did you ever get this done mate?

I am looking to get this done and I have been quoted £50.00 with LED's included!

Regards
Stephen

Found myself more distracted in recent months and kinda forgot :rolleyes:

For the inside-fog-OEM-look £50 sounds a steal, I'd get mine done in a heartbeat if I could get that round here!

Just straight replace fogs for DLR's mate.

I must admit at the min I want other things, GSR Induction kit and possibly my private reg
rolleyes.gif

Tbh I think that's the best way, sure it's not 100% by the book, but saves a lot of faffing and who's really going to check :p

GSR sounds good, what engine's it on? I love the fact yours is a 5dr too, I find they're like gold-dust on this site :D

Looks really good! However I've come to the decision if I have DRLs in the fogs, some people will mistake me for a tosser who drives round with fog lights on :p

you could be a tosser like me and drive about with one fog light going on and off......:devil:

5748203798_cc2dbb2640.jpg

Had a long conversation with a elderly Mr Angry who passed comment when i got out my car in Lidl car park the other year.. along the lines of "oi ya idiot its not foggy and you think your cool driving with you fog lights on well you have one out......."..

Went back to the car started it up and put them on and obviously they both came on.... :devil: his face was a picture.. He then got educated in to cornering light technology and eec type approval by flashing them on left and right by rocking the wheel :D

Back