Technical replace the two metal pipes on the power steering rack

Currently reading:
Technical replace the two metal pipes on the power steering rack

GeraldHales

Fiat Ducato van xxx244 2006 2.3 Diesel

Just asking to see if any previous experience on the forum, I need to replace the two metal pipes on the power steering rack, looks very difficult to get to. Can it be done, or does the bottom section of the sub frame need to come off?

Cheers.

Hi,

eLearn suggests disconnecting and sliding the steering assembly out via RH wheel arch when replacing the unit. Not very simple either. For more info click on this link, and then on procedures - steering etc.

Update – Many thanks for the eLearn info, some good information here and offers a way to go.
I started work on this job last weekend, I have the van on blocks on my driveway. I can faithfully report that it would be impossible to replace the rusty pipes on a rusty 2006 Ducato with the rack in situ... So onto plan B remove the rack, something of a major job this, both wheels off, both track rods off, both roll bar ties off, steering wheel linkage assembly off... the list goes on and on... Then you have to get the four rack fixing bolts out... several hours later 3 are out and one needs grinding off... after many hours laying under the van in cold puddles with the rain and snow coming down... Eventually managed to wrestle and wriggle the rack out of the van via the passenger side. What an horrible job this has been and its only half done. So just now I have the van on blocks and out of use and the rack is in my shed. I work during the week, and with some 3 inches of snow on the ground its way too cold to work on the rack in my shed by the time I get home. Maybe next weekend it will thaw a bit and just maybe I can get the pipes off and the new ones on, and I also need to somehow remove the cut off bolt from the rack. I have seen on eBay a reconditioned rack, so I might just go for that... more next week.

Attachments

• IMG_20230115_092951.jpg
    IMG_20230115_092951.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20230115_110303.jpg
    IMG_20230115_110303.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 58
Fiat Ducato van xxx244 2006 2.3 Diesel

Just asking to see if any previous experience on the forum, I need to replace the two metal pipes on the power steering rack, looks very difficult to get to. Can it be done, or does the bottom section of the sub frame need to come off?

Cheers.
Hi folks. I know this is an older post but i thought I will share some info. I've just changed my two pipes on my 2006 ducato and all work done without removing any parts besides the pipes. To get better access i just loosened the exhaust pipe by the spring loaded section , just above the steering rack. You can then swing the spanner easier. I proper the exhaust pipe up temporarily to not stress any other joins.
Remove the longer/ upper pipe first and then you got easy access to the lower/ shorter pipe. Should the exhaust bolts be very rusty i am sure they are worth replacing compared with removing the whole rack and all linkage etc. Job took about 1 hour as I cleaned and greased any threads that were going back in a note if you have problems getting the 12 mm spanner in on the first connection, you can grind off the edge a bit on it so it slots in. I had a skinny one so it fiited in without any problem
Hope this gives you a shorter day under the van.

Hi folks. I know this is an older post but i thought I will share some info. I've just changed my two pipes on my 2006 ducato and all work done without removing any parts besides the pipes. To get better access i just loosened the exhaust pipe by the spring loaded section , just above the steering rack. You can then swing the spanner easier. I proper the exhaust pipe up temporarily to not stress any other joins.
Remove the longer/ upper pipe first and then you got easy access to the lower/ shorter pipe. Should the exhaust bolts be very rusty i am sure they are worth replacing compared with removing the whole rack and all linkage etc. Job took about 1 hour as I cleaned and greased any threads that were going back in a note if you have problems getting the 12 mm spanner in on the first connection, you can grind off the edge a bit on it so it slots in. I had a skinny one so it fiited in without any problem
Hope this gives you a shorter day under the van.

Hi well sounds like a good result. Was the van up on a lift or over a trench? I was just laying on the ground under the van and felt that it would be impossible to replace those pipes. I also replaced the main feed and returns as well. The nut heads were very rusty and not really nut shape on all my pipes so I had to use a mole grip once the rack was on my bench.

Getting the rack out and then back in was messy horrible work and I hope never to do that again. Great that its all sorted though.

Hi well sounds like a good result. Was the van up on a lift or over a trench? I was just laying on the ground under the van and felt that it would be impossible to replace those pipes. I also replaced the main feed and returns as well. The nut heads were very rusty and not really nut shape on all my pipes so I had to use a mole grip once the rack was on my bench.

Getting the rack out and then back in was messy horrible work and I hope never to do that again. Great that its all sorted though.
Hi. I just had the van on the ground. I guess you could raise it a bit for more space. I'm still fairly agile at 60!! So i just crawled under.. hint makes sure the threads are cleaned and i put copper paste on the threads so they went in easy.

Back