Punto (Mk2/2b) Renew antifreeze

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Renew antifreeze

rogernjenny

Hi. I'm new to your site so just feeling my way around. About 6 months ago I renewed the antifreeze in my wife's Punto (2006) but the heater only blows moderately warm air when on hot and I suspect air lock in the heater supply pipes. I have a Haynes manual which says bleed the top heater hose in the engine compartment by the bulkhead but I can find no such bleed valve on either heater hoses. Any tips please would be appreciated. :confused:

Hi I’m new but did this before , just got another punto so I’m rusty but if I remember there is 2 bleed valves , one by rad and one at rear pipe , it’s a B to get right , keep heater to hot and run engine is how I did it , keep alternating and squeezing the rear pipe until it gets hot from the blower , takes patience , I think some stuff a plastic bottle with cut end to keep coolant pressure at refill bottle as you bleed it , a sign it’s not done properly is a water gurgle sound when you go to start her up, now that’s mk2s but I imagine yours similar if it’s tough to bleed

Last edited:
Drain the coolant.

Refill with clean water and bleed, run the engine to fully hot and drain again.

Fill with new coolant when rad bleeder dribbles close its bleed screw. Continue filling until coolant flows from the heater pipe bleeder.

Close bleeder and run engine. Stop engine and allow to sit for an hour. Open heater bleeder to release any trapped bubbles.

Job done.

If you hear any water gurgles with engine running you have probably blown the head gasket. They cannot cope with low coolant at any time.

The plastic bleed screws are weak but thread is M6 so can be replaced with a short socket cap screw and washer.

Last edited:
Hi I’m new but did this before , just got another punto so I’m rusty but if I remember there is 2 bleed valves , one by rad and one at rear pipe , it’s a B to get right , keep heater to hot and run engine is how I did it , keep alternating and squeezing the rear pipe until it gets hot from the blower , takes patience , I think some stuff a plastic bottle with cut end to keep coolant pressure at refill bottle as you bleed it , a sign it’s not done properly is a water gurgle sound when you go to start her up, now that’s mk2s but I imagine yours similar if it’s tough to bleed
Thanks for your help. I fully understand the bleed principle but I cannot see a bleed valve on either of the heater pipes. I've tried squeezing the pipes when they are hot but no improvement in heater temperature occurs ??

Hi if no bleed screw at rad area or in middle of pipework towards the back of engine then it may self bleed being an 06 , run car until hot with fans on full hot, Coolent bottle slightly raised and at slight angle with cap off , when bottom rad pipe is hot and fan starts running keep checking heater it may suddenly get hot , when refitting Coolent bottle remove any Coolent over the mark if topped up with calpol dispenser or
Similar , good luck

Thanks for your help. I fully understand the bleed principle but I cannot see a bleed valve on either of the heater pipes. I've tried squeezing the pipes when they are hot but no improvement in heater temperature occurs ??

There is a section on the forum for the 2006 grande punto.

Early model puntos for this section of the forum do not have the small coolant filling tank in front of the battery.

If you have the small coolant tank in front of the battery which has a 3 cm tube and a 1 cm tube coming from it and that has been at the correct level for 6 months then my guess is the cooling system must be blocked and needs a good flushing with fresh water.

Back