Remote Central Locking?

Currently reading:
Remote Central Locking?

Frannybum

Hey guys.

I am picking up my Punto 55 S today and as i am sure all of you are aware, the care doesn't come with some luxurys that the SX model does... One of which is central locking.

So, could you guys tell me if these things (seen in the linky below) are as good as they seem, and if they are easy to fit.

LINKY LINKY LINKY

I would like to do the work myself, with the help of my boyfriend.

Should it be easy enough?

Franny (y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I would like to do the work myself, with the help of my boyfriend.
thats what i like to see, a girl who shows some interest in her car!!!,.,.

yes they do work and are fairly easy to fit, theres not much wiring to do as most of the wiring is just plug & play.
the only problem you might have is finding a nice place to mount the actuators inside the door, but thats not too difficult.,.,,

Thanks for the reply Vtec :)

I have picked up the car and realised something that i didn't realise before...

The key is HUUUUGE!!!!!

Do you know if i can buy a smaller key and have it cut? Can a place Like Timpsons do it?

I dont know the legalities involved in having car keys cut, so thats why i ask :)

The new Fiat kets are great, but my '95 key is bug n ugly :(

Franny (y)

which one is it? is it red or blue? if its the red one your talking about then that is your emergancy key and you should have 2 blue keys which are a lot smaller, you can get a new blue key cut if you still have the red one.,.,

no i dont think you have to go to FIAT to get them, if you have a look in the punto section you should find info on where to get the keys cut as they need to be coded aswell,.,.,.

coded???

Its a key for a '95 Punto 55 S, i didn't think they were that technically advanced! I presumed '95 Punto 55 S' were made of wood and powered by my feet...like in the Flintstones :D

So whats the code for?

I will browse the punto section now :)

Franny (y)

yeah i know what you mean, everythng else about the punto is from the days of the ford model-T in 19-O-splash, lol
yeah but the code in the key is for the immobiliser thats why you cant just copy the key as you would a house key,.,.

Re: Punto Remote Central Locking???

There's a ton of threads about these on the forums - apparently they're an utter arse to fit if you're not sure what you're doing and the wiring diagrams they promise to supply aren't always accurate. If the car has cable central locking, you might be better off finding the Meta kit (M20 I think) - all you have to do is replace a relay in the fusebox. They turn up on eBay every now and then and usually go for a few quid shy of £50.

You can get them done at the cobblers now :) (about £20)

Just make sure that they don't just clone the red key (or you will just end up with 2 red ones)...it has to be just functioning as a blue one. If they know what they are doing, they will know what you mean.

Ok, i could go to Timpsons on Monday..... do you think that if i just take the red key in and ask them to make 2 blue keys from it, they will get it right?

One of the blue keys is for the doors isn't it, and the other for the ignition??? Is this right????

Could i just have one blue key made that will open the doors and start the car, but isn't just a clone of the red?

Finally, can just using the red key actually damage the car in any way?

Thanks

Franny (y)

Re: Punto Remote Central Locking???

nah, these are not that difficult to fit. it might take ya a while if your not familiar with them but most of the wiring is just plug and play,,.,

it would be a lot easier to just use the relay "petey" mentioned but that would be useless if your car doesnt already have central locking actuators fitted.,.,

Last edited:
I don't know if Timpsons do it, I use an independent place locally.

The blue key will start the car and unlock the doors...only one key needed, but best to have a spare.

The blue ones are cloned using the red one, but it's not a duplicate of the red one, as the red can do more than a blue one needs to do. (there is a sticky somewhere on keys)

Using the red key wont damage your car. But will periodically reset your ecu making your car forget what it has learnt regarding fuel mix etc.

And if you lose it...not good. So best just to keep it safe and not wear it out.

i actually needed my red key for my old 75sx, so was thank ful i had it, the blue key just stopped working, and didnt start the car and the code light was lit, i found something on here to do with the red key in ignition, and turning it removing it inserting the blue key etc and it worked :D and the blue key worked again, i was amazed :p but very thank ful i had the red key!! lol

same system as the fords then what with the keys and that if you can find an independant locksmiths they can read you ECU and program the holy grail of a red key and cut it from your blue... they would probably want your car for half hour or so tho to do it... i know the place by me was half the price of my ford garage when me and the mrs were looking for a replacement red for the crappy KA we used to own (not my choice i picked it up for £50 with a years mot and tax)

Back