Technical Remote Brake Servo

Currently reading:
Technical Remote Brake Servo

dunnah01

I've never actually driven a 500 and I'm still a long way from finishing the resto of my '71 L. Whilst having a tidy up at the weekend I found a new remote brake servo unit and was wondering if it would be a worthwhile addition. From what I hear the brakes are very much from the 60's in their effectiveness so anything to improve the feel can only help. I'm at the stage where it would be easy to include the servo in the build but wondered if it would actually help in the real world?

I've never actually driven a 500 and I'm still a long way from finishing the resto of my '71 L. Whilst having a tidy up at the weekend I found a new remote brake servo unit and was wondering if it would be a worthwhile addition. From what I hear the brakes are very much from the 60's in their effectiveness so anything to improve the feel can only help. I'm at the stage where it would be easy to include the servo in the build but wondered if it would actually help in the real world?

It may help a little but I think the problem is more to do with fact it has disks all round and is one system for all four wheels rather than opposed to front and back being separate. Plus trying to find somewhere to mount it maybe an issue?

The brakes are a little scary at first compared to modern cars. When mine was recently MOT'd the examiner compared them to being about as effective as a hand brake on a 20 year old Fiesta. But if you need to stop in a hurry and have to stamp on the pedal they are really quite good, there isn't a lot of weight to bring to a halt.

Disk conversions are obviously the way to go for a more modern feel but are not cheap. I quite like having to think about how to drive the car again, like having to slow up and double declutching when approaching junctions rather than let the car do all the hardwork for me.
Tony

Last edited:
I have similar thoughts to Tony. You don't really need brakes and I'm not really joking
Today I found myself braking lightly at a roundabout on the A96, just to show the car behind, which had been patiently following me for 7 miles, that I did actually have brakes.
You can stop quickly if you have too.

OK - sounds like the servo is better off on ebay rather than the car - Thanks all for your help.

Back