General Refurbing alloys

Currently reading:
General Refurbing alloys

Me and a mate have started to refurb our alloys, he has found some etech spray paint and he is wondering if it will give a good coverage and wont flake off as he seems to think normal spray paint will (rattle cans) also could anyone point us in the right direction on what to use, we have been looking to buy some paint to use in a spray gun, and doing some research most people say this will flake off. I dont think it will if we use 2 layers of etch primer, 3 layers of paint and 2 layers of laquer.

Any help appreciated

Its nt that pricey tbf mate, place near me £46 per wheel, cheaper than new alloys n saves me the hassle lol. If u dnt mind touchin them up if they get scrathed sprayin them is probly ur best bet :)

I have yet to see a DIY job that looks half way decent, a professional refurb in either paint or powdercoat it the best way. Silver paint refurb should start from about £35 per wheel, i prefer paint to powdercoat as its easier to keep clean

theres a place near me called CAS coatings... apparantly they powdercoat for £17 a corner. would just need you to prepare and balance the covers yourself.

yeh i thought that but still a lot of effort for something that could still flake or chip off easily. went to a local powder coaters today and they want £140 to sand blast, fill in curbing, then powder coat. i didnt think that was too bad, considering, so think im gunna go for that even though its a bit more expensive it will probably be a lot better finish. My mate is going to do his in hammerite :bang::eek:

As long as you take your time doing it yourself, they will be fine. It's the lacquer that's the problem. Spray can lacquer is not great stuff tbh and doesn't give a hard finish like if it was done at a proper spray company. Paint the wheels yourself and take them somewhere to get lacquered; that shouldn't flake off then

Last edited:
Back