General Rear window leak?

Currently reading:
General Rear window leak?

dac69er

Established member
I have a leak in the bottom corner of my rear window. Closest to the B pillar. It's on a sporting, so it is the opening type.

I removed the window and cleaned the seal and that hasn't helped.

I did notice that the window seems to sit tighter to the seal on that side nearer the B pillar end. the drivers side one is more even all the way round.

There is no adjustment that I can see!?

Does anyone have any quick fix suggestions before I buy a new seal that may or may not even work.

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't condensation collecting inside and running down. I spent an age trying to work the same thing out till I discovered what it was.

Definitely water leaking in.

I have just removed the window again, took the seal out, cleaned it and Refitted it all.

It looks like it is not sitting far enough in at the back End, especially compared to the front end.
Nothing is loose or worn that I can tell. I am tempted to bend the bracket a bit to make it shut a little tighter.

I have taken pics of the front corner near the B pillar that I mentioned. The tighter one is the side that leaks, the other side is fine.

Attachments

• 20201115_151741.jpg
    20201115_151741.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20201115_151639.jpg
    20201115_151639.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
Use some french chalk or something similar dusted onto the seal so that it will leave a 'witness' mark around the frame - where there is no chalk there is the likely source of the leak. Sometimes seals get a bit compressed or distorted

If there is no adjustment on the window, and you can't 'pack-out' the seal with anything, try assisting the rubber seal do its job by lightly smearing it with a bit of silicone grease.

Silicone grease won't harm the rubber but might just be enough to repel any water ingress

Use some french chalk or something similar dusted onto the seal so that it will leave a 'witness' mark around the frame - where there is no chalk there is the likely source of the leak. Sometimes seals get a bit compressed or distorted

If there is no adjustment on the window, and you can't 'pack-out' the seal with anything, try assisting the rubber seal do its job by lightly smearing it with a bit of silicone grease.

Silicone grease won't harm the rubber but might just be enough to repel any water ingress

I can see where the water runs. It's where the rubber isn't tight against the window.
I guess it's just crap fiat build quality which means it doesn't line up as well on that side.

I have had a fiddle about, just need some rain to see if it has solved It.......

Without seeing it for myself I can only 'blindly' make suggestions, but if there is a way to somehow 'pack out' the seal to get it so sit firmer against the window.

Or adjust the catches/hinges even if it means bending them slightly in the right direction!

not something i've ever had to mess with... but i'd say the way to adjust it would be take the metal clips off and ever so slightly bend it, put it all back and see if seals - repeat if necessar. Just looking at the 2 pics of either side its clearly the metal bracket thats causing the difference. The window thats tighter, look at how the bracket bends from the securing bolt and how the other side its flusher. You might even get away with putting your thumb on the plastic fitting through the glass and pushing it out, its not a strong bracket......

Back