Technical Rear suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Rear suspension

I am thinking of using the wheels and rear hubs from my Multipla for a trailer. Clearly the hubs will be suitable for the wheels. I have removed the hubs. I am unlikely to find a suitable model of Indespension unit but could possible use the stubs on the suspension if I could remove them. The stubs are 160mm long and appear to be screwed in the ends of the arms because the ends have hexagon sockets. The width of the arm is 80mm with the other 80mm being 45mm bearing stub of diameter 30mm and 35mm threaded part (the 160mm measurement is from the outer surface of the flange). The attached pictures show what I mean! Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks. That could be useful if I can find an indespension model which allows donor stub axles. At the moment I have the complete rear suspension off the Multipla - pityit is the one with disc brakes!

Why not use the entire frame and bolt to your trailer base? That'd make life a lot easier wouldn't it?
You could swap the discs for the drums off a marea or the van, I've seen them in breakers yards.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks: my idea of using suitable indespension units was for simplicity of installation.
I have removed the complete rear frame as an alternative approach. Nor quite as straightforward as the there is a difference in height with the front 12cm below the rear which allowed space for the spare wheel. Can get over that using pieces cut from a box lintel. Do you know if the drums you mention are the same?

I believe (but don't quote me) that the Doblo van, Marea and other Fiats before 2010ish had the drum brakes and they should bolt straight onto the bug axles.
I swapped a set of discs for drums but that was bug to bug, I don't think you'd face much hassle.
Alternatively you could check out the price of a set of new ones - there's an outfit in Germany that advertises them at very reasonable cost - I've bought several adjusters and shoe sets from them in the past.
I'd be inclined to use the sub frame to mount the axles, it seems like a bit less work somehow, I might be wrong, but it's worth a try.
George

Back