Technical Rear suspension bushes quick questione

Currently reading:
Technical Rear suspension bushes quick questione

I have a new pair of rear suspension bushes waiting to be fitted...

One of mine looks like it's falling apart (rubber hanging out and it squeaks like a bastard)... the other is okay but might do it at the same time...

However... the bushes I received from fleabay have no markings on them. There's supposed to be an arrow or mark that lines up pointing to the front of the car (I believe you line it up with the weld on the torsion beam).

How can I identify which part of the bush doesn't have the missing "arrow"? The bushes have the 3 indents on the outer plate and there is a small notch on the inner sleeve... but that's all.

Ta,

Ralf S.

How can I identify which part of the bush doesn't have the missing "arrow"? The bushes have the 3 indents on the outer plate and there is a small notch on the inner sleeve... but that's all.

Ralf S.

The notch in the inner sleeve and the semi-circular cutout in the end plate, line up with the arrow as in the diagram below.

It's possible for the end plate to be removed, so make sure it's still lined up with the notch.

Attachments

• Rear Axle Bush.JPG
    Rear Axle Bush.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
So.. on the nearside bush the more "open" of the three round notches in the end plate will be facing up... and on the offside bush, the more open round notch will be facing down.

I have the little cutout on the inside which matches your photo.. It's at 270 degrees to the more open of the three notches in the end plate. :)

Ralf S.

So.. on the nearside bush the more "open" of the three round notches in the end plate will be facing up... and on the offside bush, the more open round notch will be facing down.
Ralf S.

Yes.... they will be 180° opposed to each other when fitted to the car.

The cutouts in the end plates are for the prongs of the three pronged press piece to go through. It doesn't really matter where the end plates are fitted on the inner sleeve, providing they are aligned with the low points of the castelated bump stops on the end of the bushes. The three cutouts are not equally spaced at 120°, so it may be that they can only go in one position to satisfy the above anyway.

When refitting the axle beam, don't tighten the central bush bolts until the weight of the car is on its wheels, otherwise the new bushes will be under constant tension and will fail quickly. As it's difficult to get to the bolts with the wheels fitted, I always lower the car onto axle stands under the hubs to take the car's weight when tightening the bolts.

Attachments

• PICT0589.JPG
    PICT0589.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0558.JPG
    PICT0558.JPG
    791.3 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0630.JPG
    PICT0630.JPG
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 20
Most excellent explanation and photos... Thanks. :)

Now I just need to find someone to do it for me... It doesn't look toooooo tricky but I suspect the job will involve a lot of hammering, grinding, cutting and swearing.

Might be one for the local workshops.

So far though, none of the local workshops have been very interested. I wonder why..? :D

Ralf S.

Back