General Rear Suspension Bush

Currently reading:
General Rear Suspension Bush

downsmen

Hi Im new to this Forum,
I have a 51 Plate Ulysse and need to change the rear Bush on The rear trailing arm.
My Question is can this be done at home and if so do you do it?:confused:

Thanks in advance:)

Late to the party here, but a late response is better than none I guess.

I did this on my Synergie (I hang about in here, because it's the same thing.)

I used a pit to do this job, to gain access to the car from underneath.
With it over the pit, I then raised the rear of the car about 18" in the air.
(The pit has a jacking beam in it.)
With it in the airand the axle supported, I removed both trailing arm bolts and both lower damper mounting bolts from the axle.
You also need to remove the lower panhard rod mounting bolt to allow the axle to drop down parrallel or it won't drop out.

With the axle lowered, you now have access to the bushes. If it has failed, the inner rubber part of the bush will push out easily leaving the metal sleeve firmly fused to the housing, but easily removed.
Take a hacksaw and dimantle it to allow the blade to go through the housing, reassemble the hacksaw with the balde upside down to allow you to cut a slit into the outer sleeve of the bush. - all the way through and the full length of the housing.
With this done, remove the hacksaw.
Now, using a hammer and chisel and starting from the slit in the bush sleeve, start to fold it in on itself around its circumference. As soon as you can get the chisel into the gap, go for it. Before you know where you are, it will collapse in and fall out.

Fitting a new bush incolves making up a tool to pull it into position. It cannot just be hammered in - not going to happen.
I used threaded rod, nuts (more than one, the thread will strip) and sockets as spacers.
Pull the new bush into place and reassemble.

I considered doing it on the driveway, but it wasn't on.
If you can access a ramp or pit and have a way of jacking up the back of the car, it's quite feasible.
Do bear in mind though, that with the exception of the handbrake cables and brake flexis, you are in effect completely removing the rear axle, so it's not a trivial job. Took me about 4 hours making it up as I went along.

Back