Technical rear camera connected to reverse light wire but no automatic view when in reverse

Currently reading:
Technical rear camera connected to reverse light wire but no automatic view when in reverse

Hi All,

I'm transforming a Fiat Ducato 2007 into a camper van and try to install a rear view camera.
I got the camera connect and when i go to de rear view app on my Atoto dashboard the video displays.
However i want to automatically pop up if i put the car in reverse, but that doesn't work.
I connected the camera to the white with green wire from the reverse light and the other one to the chasis.
Is my setup wrong? I also read online that it could be that there is to low power on the wire to kick in de camera when in reverse.
If that's the case, how can i fix that?
Thanks in advance!

I used to have my reverse camera wired to the brake light, but it was a nuisance because it took a few seconds to activate after selecting reverse gear - not what you want when you are shunting backwards and forwards into a tight parking space. So now I have it supplied with a separate dashboard switch.

I used to have my reverse camera wired to the brake light, but it was a nuisance because it took a few seconds to activate after selecting reverse gear - not what you want when you are shunting backwards and forwards into a tight parking space. So now I have it supplied with a separate dashboard switch.
In fact having an additionnal switch can be an advantage (ie. safety, especially for campervans.
It made me reconsider my initial plan :D And I think I'll go for it. As I'm also thinking about a front camera, it is possible it would be also easier to operate them with switches.

Hi All,

I'm transforming a Fiat Ducato 2007 into a camper van and try to install a rear view camera.
I got the camera connect and when i go to de rear view app on my Atoto dashboard the video displays.
However i want to automatically pop up if i put the car in reverse, but that doesn't work.
I connected the camera to the white with green wire from the reverse light and the other one to the chasis.
Is my setup wrong? I also read online that it could be that there is to low power on the wire to kick in de camera when in reverse.
If that's the case, how can i fix that?
Thanks in advance!
Are you sure that there is a 12V voltage between the chassis and the green wire when reverse in engaged?

Rear camera is really useful because its high up looking straight down so I can see to within a few cm how close I am to an obstacle behind.
I have the factory fitted reversing sensors (much more reliable than cheap sensors I got off ebay for an earlier van) but they beep when I am about 50cm from the object behind - and even at the rear side of the van so they could be beeping at somehing I could reverse past. The camera gives a much more accurate view enabling me to get into tighter parking spaces.
But there is nowhere to mount a camera on the front of the van to look down and see exactly how close you are to an obstacle I can at the rear.
So the only front camera I have is the dashcam.

In fact having an additionnal switch can be an advantage (ie. safety, especially for campervans.
It made me reconsider my initial plan :D And I think I'll go for it. As I'm also thinking about a front camera, it is possible it would be also easier to operate them with switches.

Are you sure that there is a 12V voltage between the chassis and the green wire when reverse in engaged?
I didn't checked the voltage on the white/green cable, i was hoping someone could tell me.

I'm planning to install it somewhere over the Fiat logo. A true fisheye/very wide angle is a must though. And some kind of cover to protect the lens in normal driving conditions.

So, I bought a camera that was stating it had 200 degrees angle view. But couldn't find a spot on the front to install it in order to see the front bumper's sides :( I tried around the fiat logo (it was the closest one) and inside, around where the rear-view mirror should be. Abandonned :( So, switch operated rear cam will be the only installed :)

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it went - some people don't bother
I have the camera and other switch operated things wired to red LED strips I got off ebay so they don't get left on and drain the battery.
The strips can usually be cut to length with scissors.

Back