Radweld

Currently reading:
Radweld

San

Hi Im new :) I have a 98 Punto,and week before Xmas it overheated and the heater wasnt working. After it had cooled I checked the water and it was very low. Topped it up, next day after a few mins driving the overheating light came back on and water had dropped again. I took it to a local garage and he said head gasket had gone! I sposed to be takin it to him on Thurs for repair...but I think he was trying to rip me off. My boyfriend put some Radweld in...and it seems to have done the trick. Water level is staying and the heater works.

The water is frothy tho? Is that the Radweld....or something nasty? Also...is radweld a temporary measure ? Should I get it checked out properly? (but not by that guy lol) And can someone explain to me why the heater started working again? You can guess I know naff all about cars...but I am learning fast :) Any help would be appreciated. I happened on this forum while Googling Fiat stuff...it looks like it could come in very useful !

Last edited:
San said:
Hi Im new :) I have a 98 Punto,and week before Xmas it overheated and the heater wasnt working. After it had cooled I checked the water and it was very low. Topped it up, next day after a few mins driving the overheating light came back on and water had dropped again. I took it to a local garage and he said head gasket had gone! I sposed to be takin it to him on Thurs for repair...but I think he was trying to rip me off. My boyfriend put some Radweld in...and it seems to have done the trick. Water level is staying and the heater works.

The water is frothy tho? Is that the Radweld....or something nasty? Also...is radweld a temporary measure ? Should I get it checked out properly? (but not by that guy lol) And can someone explain to me why the heater started working again? You can guess I know naff all about cars...but I am learning fast :) Any help would be appreciated. I happened on this forum while Googling Fiat stuff...it looks like it could come in very useful !
get the engine pressure tested. this will determine the health of the cylinder head. you could have a leaking water pump which has temporary been sealed. the pressure test should reveal all.:)

Hi and welcome radweld should be considered as a temp repair you say the water level went back down and the heater worked after the rad weld now have a feel around the the carpets under the heater matrix[small heater rad] there could have been a leak there and the radweld seaed it if carpets are wet theres the problem hope that helps (y)

Thx guys. I have no wet carpet,just checked. And I have a reliable mechanic now who can hopefully do this engine pressure thingy:) Will keep you posted.

Sumplug....It aint sunny Manchester atm ;)

San said:
Thx guys. I have no wet carpet,just checked. And I have a reliable mechanic now who can hopefully do this engine pressure thingy:) Will keep you posted.

Sumplug....It aint sunny Manchester atm ;)
is it ever sunny in manchester san?:D ;)

Back