Racing seatbelt? 4-6 points?

Currently reading:
Racing seatbelt? 4-6 points?

apandersphilip

Hey Fiat :)

I would like to do hillclimb in my X 1/9. Where can i fasten my 4 point racing seatbelt? I dont have rollcage.

Best
AP

My understanding would be there is no safe place without a roll cage. You can make them secure but they can be more dangerous than a 3 point if installed wrong. They should be secured at a point higher than your shoulders behind you, as close to horizontal as possible, otherwise in a crash they'll transfer the load into the back of the seat not the shell. This may break the seat and your spine..

Last edited:
My understanding would be there is no safe place without a roll cage. You can make them secure but they can be more dangerous than a 3 point if installed wrong. They should be secured at a point higher than your shoulders behind you, as close to horizontal as possible, otherwise in a crash they'll transfer the load into the back of the seat not the shell. This may break the seat and your spine..

Absolutely correct regarding above shoulder height and as straight as possible.

If a saloon car one can get away with running a 3 point (or even a four point) to the "C" post shoulder fixings for the rear passengers.

In an X1/9 you don't have that ability (was going to say luxury) so the best and easiest thing you can do I think would be to replace your drivers shoulder mount bolt with a eye bolt, (I'm assuming in an X1/9 the normal cross belt goes over your shoulder and down to the inertia real mounted a floor level?) and then use a mountain climbing carabiner (preferably scew gate) as a shoulder loop support and then run the belt/belts back do to the/a floor mount (possible where the inertia real is mounted).

Regarding use of racing belts/safety harness then for them to be legal for road use (i.e.) used instead of traditional seat belt, then they must be of the one hand/two hand single engagement buckle type. The multi engagement buckles are not legal for road use the last time I checked.

If your belt is a 3/4 point with a traditional lap buckle then you can dispense with the fitted seat belt. Doing so may free up getting an eye bolt where the inertial real is secured where often there is little or zero clearance to get an eye bolt in.

A more expensive solution would be to have a behind seat substantial cross member custom made that links/mounts to the driver and passenger side "B" post shoulder fixing points.

I'd not be fitting a harness without a cage. It will hold you bolt upright as the roof caves in.

Use your 3 point until you get a cage.

D

Very good point "D".

I would certainly doing some rollover crash researching. I assume that the X1/9, like the Barchetta has screen upper A post/widow pillars designed to withstand roller. It then comes down to a straight line top of window to rear end boot contact as to how much the driver's head and neck is protected.

Back